GIS Software Developer Job in Kano
eHealth Africa’s mission is to build stronger health systems through
the design & implementation of
data-driven solutions that respond to
local needs and provide underserved communities with tools to lead
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Position: GIS Software Developer
Location: Kano, Nigeria
Department: Software Development
Type: Full Time
- The GIS Software Developer provides dedicated support to the GIS department’s development related project.
- S/he develops eHA’s WebGIS environment and build web and mobile
apps based to support targeted workflows in the GIS Department and
several projects and programs being supported by the GIS Department.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill
and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops mobile and web GIS applications to support internal and external projects at eHealth Africa.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
- Contributes to the development of OpenSource GIS applications, tools and capabilities at eHealth Africa.
- Supports the development of web services and data portals at eHealth Africa.
- Liaises with internal and external clients to perform proper requirement gathering.
- Collaborates with eHealth Africa’s Software development team to ensure adequate support for all GIS development needs
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times.Approaches others in a
tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect
and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts
responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Maintains a collegial, collaborative and accesssible working style.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management.
- Responsible for performing any other duty as assigned by management.
- May frequently travel between company worksites.
- Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography, Computer Science, or Software Engineering.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and great attention to detail.
- Ability to work in collaboration with others on a project team and
independently on tasks Must be able to work as a leader and member of a
team and possess good problem solving skills.
- Good learning ability.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with test driven development.
- Experience in developing web and mobile GIS applications.
- Experience of working with PostgreSQL, Geoserver, MapServer.
- Experience working in a team environment with github (creating
branches, merging branches, cherry picking commits, reverting commits,
stashing, squash merging, tagging, etc.).
- Minimum 2 years working in software engineering team, experience
with international teams a plus (ours is from all over the world).
- Minimum of 2 years GIS development experience.
LeafletJS. Knowledge ane experience of OpenLayers, GeoJSON, Web Map
- Ability to identify and promote best practices.
- Familiarity with best practices in coding and design including enterprise patterns.
- Cultural sensitivity, sound judgement, and strong interest in
working in a demanding and intellectually challenging environment, with
the organizational ability to handle multiple tasks around ambitious
- International work experience is a plus.
- Experience of working with CartoDB Platform (CartoCSS, CartoDB.js) and Mapbox platform (mapbox.js), GeoExt, GeoWebCache, GDAL.
- DevOps capacity (full stack linux sysadmin skills) a big plus.
- A Postgraduate degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems or GeoInformatics
- Familiarity with Spatial ETL tools e.g. Safe FME Desktop and FME Server.
- Android development experience.
- Experience with document based databases (esp CouchDB, GeoCouch/CouchBase).
Language/ Communication Skills:
- English is the spoken and written language so English fluency is required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations. Ability
to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent writing ability, strong interpersonal, group facilitation and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: