NSRP Recruits Driver / Office Assistant
– The Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme (NSRP) is a five
aimed at supporting efforts to manage conflicts
nonviolently in Nigeria and reduce the impact of violence on the most
NSRP is funded by the UK Department for
International Development (DFID) and managed by a consortium led by the
British Council. The programme supports peace initiatives at the
national level and in eight target states across four zones worse
affected by violence (Middle Belts Niger Delta, North East and North
West). The programme seeks to deliver interventions to reduce the
impacts of violent, conflicts and promote reconciliation processes.
We are looking for committed and experienced individuals to join the
competent team of professionals in this innovative and exciting
Job Title: Driver / Office Assistant
Region: Sub Saharan Africa
Pay Band: PB 1
Reports to: Regional Manager (Middle Belt)
Duration: 2 years
Purpose of Job
- To support the provision of the NSRP support services in
relation to a clean, safe and efficient working environment and secure
transportation of personnel and resources for NSRP.
Context and Environment
Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices
in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a
DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a
consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct)
that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond
effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and
reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the
- The NSRP programme will operate from five regional offices
(Kano, Port Harcourt, Jos, Maiduguri and Kaduna) in Nigeria with a
programme management unit situated in Abuja.
- The post holder will be required to travel to the other regional offices periodically.
- The post holder must have the ability to work in difficult
environments, often with limited infrastructure or support facilities.
- The programme will link closely with other BC-managed work in
Nigeria, notably the Justice For All (J4A) programme and other DFID
- The post holder will work closely with the facilities and
procurement manager, resources officer and with the national and
international technical team as well as the finance team and will report
to the Regional Manager- Middle Belt, but will also require to have
significant dealings with the programme technical team, with the
Operations Manager and the overall Programme Manager.
- Short listing and interview
- Provide ad hoc administrative support as required and assist
with the organisation of regional meetings and events including the
management of designated suppliers and other partners.
- Undertake general facilities management duties including basic office cleaning and maintenance of small equipment.
- Carry out driving and transportation duties in relation to
travel bookings, activity and event management and maintain vehicle log
books, drivers’ licences log, journey and fuel records.
- Provide ad hoc advice and information to visitors regarding the
local area and transport facilities (programme and non-programme).
- Clearly communicate transport arrangements and any changes to transport users and the responsible operational manager.
- Under the guidance of the State Programme officer, ensure that
all office registers and related paperwork (assets, disclosures and
vendor details etc) are maintained and regularly updated.
- Undertake logistical support to designated workshops, meetings and events according to stated requirements.
- Ensure vehicles are serviced in line with the service schedule
and that periodic routine vehicle checks are made and that defects and
damage are reported promptly. Vehicles are clean and refuelled
- Ensure British Council and NSRP administrative and process and
policy is followed, particularly in relation to the management of
vendors and suppliers and accounting requirements.
- NSRP standards observed in relation to programme vehicle usage policies and incident control.
- Service users are satisfied with the programme support service and feedback is incorporated into revised practice.
- Vehicles and equipment are well maintained and fit for purpose at all times.
- Ensure the office environment is clean and tidy and all
equipment is well maintained and fit for purpose. Damaged / broken
equipment is reported promptly.
- Driving conforms to British Council standards, particularly in
relation to seat belt use, speed limits, timeliness and use of
- Internal: Programme Manager, Deputy Programme Managers, Output
Managers, Operations Manager; Regional Managers, Facilities &
Procurement Manager and Programme Officers.
- External: Visiting consultants, suppliers, external partner organisations, etc.
Other Important Features or Requirements of the Job
Periodic travel to high-risk areas is likely to be necessary following
close liaison with British High Commission /BC/DFID. Regular unsocial
and over-hours will be required to meet operational requirements of the
post and programme.
- Creating Shared Purpose – Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together. (Essential)
- Being Accountable – Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments (Essential)
- Making it Happen – Delivering clear results for the British Council. (Essential)
- Shaping the Future – Looking for ways in which we can do things better. (Essential)
- Connecting with Others – Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others. (More demanding)
- Working Together – Establishing a genuinely common goal with others (Essential)
- Interview only
Skills and Knowledge
- Current driving licence (clean)
- In depth knowledge of designated location
- Strong communication skills
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Short-listing and interview
- Experience of working for an international organisation in a similar context.
- Short listing and Interview
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Deadline 10th September, 2015.