NSRP Recruits Programme Officer in Port Harcourt
– The Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme (NSRP) is a five
aimed at supporting efforts to manage conflicts
nonviolently in Nigeria and reduce the
impact of violence on the most
vulnerable population. NSRP is funded by the UK Department for
International Development (DFID) and managed by a consortium led by the
British Council. The programme supports peace initiatives at the
national level and in eight target states across four zones worse
affected by violence (Middle Belts Niger Delta, North East and North
West). The programme seeks to deliver interventions to reduce the
impacts of violent, conflicts and promote reconciliation processes.
We are looking for committed and experienced individuals to join the
competent team of professionals in this innovative and exciting
Job Title: Programme Officer
Region: Sub Saharan Africa
Location: Port Harcourt
Pay Band: PB 6
Reports to: Regional Manager – Niger Delta
Purpose of Job
- To support implementation of a specified project or number of
projects, ensuring project management and financial management meets
client, corporate and programme quality standards.
Context and Environment
Nigeria is the British Council’s largest operation in SSA with offices
in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a
DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a
consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct)
that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond
effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and
reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the
- The programme operates from five regional offices in Nigeria
with a programme management unit situated in Abuja. The Programme
Officer will be based in Maiduguri and may be required to travel to
other regional offices and the Abuja office periodically. The posts will
form part of the programme technical team.
- The post holder must have the ability to work in difficult
environments, often with limited infrastructure or support facilities.
- The programme will link closely with other BC-managed work in Nigeria, notably the Justice For All (J4A) programme.
- The post holder will work closely with the Interventions &
Development Manager, Security Coordinator, Regional Manager, Output
Managers, Resources Team, Technical Team and other regional staff, and
will report to the Regional Manager – Niger Delta
- First degree or equivalent or appropriate experience
- Short listing and interview
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and Main Duties
- Accountable for the successful implementation
of specified projects, ensuring client, corporate and programme
standards are fully met.
- Accountable for ensuring specified project activities are accurately costed and budgets are managed effectively.
- Accountable for ensuring timely and accurate support to financial and technical reporting.
- Accountable for ensuring timely and effective monitoring & evaluation of partners and submission of M&E reports
Responsibilities and Main Duties
Main duties will include:
- Responsibility for the implementation of an agreed portfolio of
projects within NSRP, ensuring documentation and processes are
consistent with client, corporate and programme standards.
- Designing of activity plans and schedules ensuring project
activities are delivered on time, to quality and cost targets and client
- Identify and implement improvements to project delivery.
- Provision of logistical and administrative support to ensure
implementation of designated portfolio ensuring client, corporate and
programme policies and standards are met (e.g. for travel and
accommodation) in conjunction with Resources Assistant.
- Responsibility for compliance with corporate systems.
- Procurement and management of internal and external resources
for specific activities in consultation with regional Resources
Assistant and Abuja resources team.
- Risk management (identification, reporting and management) of
designated area of work ensuring risks are identified and reported in a
timely manner to the satisfaction of the Regional Coordinator /
Intervention & Development Manager.
- Carry out grant activities.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
Main duties will include:
- To support financial and technical reporting to
internal/external clients and customers, ensuring reporting standards
are in accordance with client and corporate standards.
- To be responsible for capturing and communicating the findings
from feedback on project activities in agreement with the communications
and/or media manager
- Monitoring of grantees as may be required
- To lead on project monitoring and evaluation activities in the
state/region in conjunction with the M, L and E Manager based in Abuja
- To be responsible for activity closures and related processes,
ensuring closures are completed in according to client and corporate and
Financial Planning and Management
Main duties will include:
- Managing project-level finances using programme systems for an
agreed portfolio of NRSP projects, ensuring client, corporate and
programme standards are met.
- Managing the payment and reconciliation of advances (including
supporting documentation) for workshops under an agreed portfolio of
- Ensuring all financial management for a designated portfolio of projects meets internal and external audit requirements.
- Ensuring timely preparation and completion of reporting and checks.
- Managing expenditure and activity risk for an agreed portfolio of projects to ensure financial targets are met.
- Producing and managing activity and project budgets for an agreed portfolio of projects.
Marketing and Customer Services
Main duties include:
- Contributing to the development of programme related activities.
- Contributing to programme communication and promotion.
- Ensuring excellent service delivery and act as a point of contact with the client and partners.
Main duties include:
- Building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders which
enhance the ability in project delivery, ensuring the programme acts on
feedback from the client and partners.
- Internal: Programme Manager, Deputy Programme Manager
(Technical) Interventions & Development Manager, Regional Manager,
Security Coordinator, Programme Support Team and Programme Technical
- External: External relationship management where appropriate
(i.e. linked to function of role), to include: consultants; external
partner organisations; state institutions, academic institutions, etc.
Other important Features or Requirements of the Job
- Periodic travel to high-risk areas is likely to be necessary
following close liaison with British High Commission /BC/DFID. Regular
unsocial and over-hours will be required to meet operational
requirements of the post and programme.
- Carry out other duties not specifically stated in the Programme
Officer’s role profile as may be required by the Regional Manager –
- Language skills appropriate to the region would be a distinct
- Creating Shared Purpose – Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together. (Essential)
- Being Accountable – Putting the needs of the team or British Council ahead of my own. (More demanding)
- Making it Happen – Delivering clear results for the British Council. (Essential).
- Shaping the Future – Looking for ways in which we can do things better. Essential).
- Connecting with Others – Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others. (More demanding)
- Working Together – Creating the environment in which others who have different aims can work together. (Most demanding)
- Interview only
Skills and Knowledge
- Project and contract management – level 2
- Financial planning and management – level 2
- Short-listing and interview
- Project management – Clear ability to identify, design, plan,
manage and evaluate projects from initiation to completion and to
achieve the stated outputs and results and keep to budget, timescale and
- Financial management – Experience of costing and managing
project budgets and using corporate financial management systems and
- Similar sector experience
- Short listing and Interview
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline 10th September, 2015.