Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent
international organization working in relief, rehabilitation,
protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and
advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization
responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field
office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria. IRC has ECHO, OFDA,
and Gates funds to respond to health, nutrition, GBV, and WASH
activities. In September 2014, IRC received additional funds to carry
out emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions
to newly displaced IDPs in Yola, the capital of Adamawa state. IRC
also received funds to carry out a child protection rapid assessment and
program start up activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Field Coordinator
Sector: Program Management
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Field Coordinator (FC) plays a key role in the overall
leadership and management of the IRC Nigeria country office and is a
member of the senior management team (SMT).
- Under the supervision of Country Director (CD), the Field
Coordinator will be responsible for the overall field coordination,
program support, and field office management working in close
collaboration with other members of the senior management team including
the Senior Program Coordinator (SPC), Deputy Director of Operations
(DDO), Finance Controller, and CD.
- The Field Coordinator will be based in Yola with travel to other field offices as required.
Field Operational Management:
- Coordinate all operational functions in the Adamawa office to
ensure overall management of Adamawa-based operational support team.
- Support emergency needs assessments and emergency program implementation in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
- Together with program and grant staff, develop programs and
proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by
- Review IRC security plans on a regular basis and ensure they are up to date at all times.
- Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports
with operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely
- Support and coordinate with Adamawa-based operations team as
well as Abuja all aspects of supply chain support, including
procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment
renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer
- Oversee under the auspices of the Finance Controller and DDO the
financial management of field office operations, and finance/logistics
staff, including cash management and transactions, operational budget.
- Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with
sector coordinators and managers for effective implementation of all
- Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all
times, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in
consultation with the DDO and other SMT members
- Ensure complete and correct use of all finance forms and timely communication of financial issues to the financial controller.
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance and logistics policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
- Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field
locations, technical coordination staff and country office on daily
activities as well as program and operational issues.
- Participate in the finalization of the strategic action plan (SAP) for IRC Nigeria Country Office (CO)
- Develop a Adamawa -focused operations plan to support the
program activities and the scale up programming once SAP is validated
HR and Staff Development:
- Ensure the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, HR,
Admin, IT & Security) through support to direct supervisors in
ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
- Ensure appropriate support to the team through regular IDP site visits and replacement of staff if needed
- Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies
including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and
Coordination and Representation:
- Support the SPC and program teams to ensure quality implementation of the IRC Nigeria program interventions.
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships
with key stakeholders at the state level including donors, government
actors, local traditional leadership, beneficiary populations and their
- Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
- Represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, and attend coordination meetings as needed at the state level.
- Masters degree required (management-related or general operations preferred);
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in Africa;
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices;
- Experience in logistics, HR/Admin, and security management
- Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
How to Apply