Communications Officer Job at eHealth Africa
eHealth Africa is focused on improving healthcare by creating
effective ways to implement reliable health information management
We have developed eHealth and mHealth solutions that can be
rapidly deployed to manage patient
information, streamline clinical
procedures, and provide data and analysis on health program outcomes.
Job Title: Senior Communications Officer
The Senior Communications Officer supports
the Communications Director to develop and implement short and long term
communications strategies and plans for eHealth Africa’s (eHA) offices.
This role serves the organizations goals, and helps drive a consistent
brand and identity strategy across the different departments in eHA.
S/he responds positively to a wide range of communication requests, and
comes up with creative and practical ways to implement them. Coordinates
requests and material coming from eHA’s other West Africa offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with the contracted social media agency to coordinate, gather
and draft program information in an appropriate format from eHA’s
country offices to be used on our social media channels and in our
- Leads and updates the communications forward look on a weekly basis and ensures country offices feed into the document.
- Manages, with steer from the Communications Director eHA corporate events for all country offices.
- Manages the production of eHA’s corporate documents including the annual report and adhoc documents as required.
- Presents complex ideas and anticipates potential objections. Clearly
communicates any ramifications of decisions and issues to project
stakeholders, and presents alternatives.
- Performs any other duties assigned by management.
- Analyzes and measures the performance of eHA’s communications activities, including websites and social media.
- Assists the Communications Director with the production and
commissioning of writers/graphic designers/ film makers and
photographers for eHA publicity purposes.
- May travel between work sites.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in
a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with
respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Is consistently at work and on time and adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
- Oversees and actively inform the content and processes related to eHA branding, values, organizational and strategic messaging.
- Advises staff on effectively communicating and engaging key
audiences including local, national and international entities. Stays
current in communications best practice.
- Drafts and edits documents including media advisories, press
releases, briefing packs, talking points, power point presentations, one
pagers and web and email communications for both internal and external
- Plans, drafts and implements with the social media agency and eHA country communications the monthly eHA newsletter.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to
successfully perform this job.
- Master’s Degree in international affairs, public policy, journalism, communications or related field.
- Creative thinker with the ability to identify innovative ways to communicate and engage audiences through a variety of avenues.
- Knowledge of website maintenance, social media, emerging media technologies, conferences and other speaking opportunities.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Must possess strong organization and prioritization skills.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in communications, public relations
and/ or media outlets or an equivalent combination of education and
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Experience of working on events and high level meetings.
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess initiative and good problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows Microsoft Publisher, and Microsoft Office Suite. Graphic designs software.
- Intermediate proficiency working with specialized software utilized in program.
- English is the spoken and written language.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
- Expert knowledge of English. Intermediate knowledge of Krio is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret
general business periodicals, professional journals, or government
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Math Ability/Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to interpret data that is not well defined or documented and develop recommendations based on findings.
How to Apply
Why work with us?
Life at ehealth Africa means collaborating with dedicated
professionals with a passion for technology. When we see something that
could be improved, we get to work inventing the solution. Our people
demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful
relationships. We invest in our people and offer a series of programs
that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential. Our
team members’ health and wellness is our priority as well as rewarding
them for their hard work.