IntraHealth International is a global health non-profit organization whose mission is to empower health workers to better serve communities in need around the world. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health
systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships. IntraHealth was incorporated as an independant non-profit in 2003 when it separated from the University of North Carolina where its programs had resided since 1979. Over its 35 year history, IntraHealth has worked in 100 countries. It receives funding and support from the US government, US foundations and corporations, multinational organizations and individuals who share IntraHealth’s mission and committment to global health.
Job Title: HRH Manager (WISN)
IntraHealth International – Abuja, NG
Why Choose IntraHealth
Would you like to be a part of purposeful work that saves lives? For 36 years, in 100 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships.
As a global champion for health workers, IntraHealth International advocates for the role of the health worker as critical in saving lives and helping the world to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. We partner with governments, NGOs, the private sector, and other organizations to foster policies that empower health workers to better serve communities in need.
The purpose of the project is to strengthen HIV/AIDS service delivery through Human Resources for Health systems in Nigeria. The project will strengthen the capacities of state ministries of health, health professional councils, managers at health care facilities with high- and moderate-volume of HIV/AIDS patients, PEPFAR implementing partners and health training institutions to effectively and efficiently plan, manage, utilize the health workforce; and strengthen systems for sustained health worker performance to improve HIV/AIDS and other health outcomes for the people of Nigeria.
The HRH Manager (WISN) will provide technical leadership and support to SMOH/LGA staff for estimating staffing needs for high- and moderate-volume facilities using the World Health Organization (WHO) staffing methodology called the “Workload Indicators of Staffing Need” (WISN), and to translate the WISN recommendations into policies, guidelines and budget reallocations for health workers. S/he will also provide technical advice for the development and operationalization of retention strategies and oversee and support the HRH capacity building interventions supported by the Systems Strengthening Managers in each of the four target states.
Though with periodic travels to the target states, the HRH Manager (WISN) will regularly coordinate meetings with state systems strengthening managers from the project head office in Abuja to discuss program implementation, planning, and challenges.
• Site level HRIS and DHIS data for evidence based decision making
• Quarterly report of site level health workforce training needs
• Lead the technical approach for the WISN exercise, including using available HRIS and DHIS data, engaging with the WISN Technical Task Force, Expert Groups, project team and site-level stakeholders to collect needed data and establish workforce activity standards
• Use WISN results to work with the Sr. HRH Specialist to develop recommendations for task shifting and identify health workforce training needs
• Work with the state-level Systems Strengthening Managers to ensure effective coverage of all priority local governments within the state on critical project interventions, including the WISN exercise in the focus states
• Coordinate the state-level Systems Strengthening Managers to facilitate continuous work with state and local partners to achieve ownership, political support, and skills transfer for overall project sustainability.
• In close collaboration with the MER manager, work with stakeholders at the national and states level to create a culture of HRH data use, through developing a strategy for building capacity to analyze data and draw conclusions that will improve decision-making and planning.
Qualifications And Experience
• Degree in medicine, nursing or pharmacy, in addition to an advanced degree in public health, epidemiology or advanced degree in economics, biostatistics, or the social sciences field related to human resources for health (e.g., sociology, management, public policy).
• Minimum of four years’ experience implementing or managing HRH or related activities in Nigeria, including involvement in several of the following areas: National HRH assessment; workforce policy, planning and financing; HR performance management; HRH information systems; leadership development, workforce projections and costing; delivering or evaluating education for health professionals.
• Experience working with the Nigeria health care system, the Ministry of Health, state and local governments, and other development organizations in Nigeria
Other Technical Skills
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills, work as effective team member and provide technical guidance to complex multi-site activities.
• Experience and functional familiarity with HRIS or similar systems, or ability to develop those skills quickly
• Proven ability to carry out analysis of HRH issues; and sound costing of interventions to motivate resource allocation for HRH.
• Prior experience working on USAID and PEPFAR-funded projects is highly desirable
• Clear commitment and record of achievement to building the capacity of local partners.
• Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
• Computer literacy in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and database management systems, such as WISN software
• Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
• Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’ s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
• Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
• Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
• Effective Oral and Written Communication: Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
• Willingness and ability to work independently with all stakeholders.
• Willingness to accept additional responsibilities and to work overtime as required.
• Willingness to travel throughout Nigeria to work with partners and key stakeholders, and potentially internationally, as required.
Summary Of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
How to Apply
To apply send your CV and suitability statement to email@example.com with the subject “Manager II, HRH (WISN) –Nigeria”
You can learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1