IntraHealth International is a global health non-profit organization whose mission is to empower health workers to better serve communities in need around the world. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health
systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships. IntraHealth was incorporated as an independant non-profit in 2003 when it separated from the University of North Carolina where its programs had resided since 1979. Over its 35 year history, IntraHealth has worked in 100 countries. It receives funding and support from the US government, US foundations and corporations, multinational organizations and individuals who share IntraHealth’s mission and committment to global health.
Job Title: State HRH Systems Strengthening Manager
IntraHealth International – Lagos, NG
Why Choose IntraHealth
Would you like to be a part of purposeful work that saves lives? For 36 years, in 100 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships.
As a global champion for health workers, IntraHealth International advocates for the role of the health worker as critical in saving lives and helping the world to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. We partner with governments, NGOs, the private sector, and other organizations to foster policies that empower health workers to better serve communities in need.
The purpose of the project to strengthen HIV/AIDS service delivery through Human Resources for Health systems in Nigeria by building the capacities of state ministries of health, local government areas (LGAs) professional health councils (PHCs), high- and moderate-volume HIV/AIDS service delivery sites, implementing partners and health training institutions to effectively and efficiently plan, manage, utilize the health workforce; and strengthen systems for sustained health worker performance to improve health outcomes for the people of Nigeria.
The State HRH Manager will work directly with the Lagos state Ministry of Health (SMOH), implementing partners (IPs), councils and PHCs to provide technical assistance in the areas of evidence-based strategic human resources planning, including health workforce staffing projections and action planning, support to HR information systems (HRIS – i.e., the state health workforce registry), health workforce recruitment and retention strategy development, performance management, continued professional development, and costed policy recommendations. S/he will specifically provide technical support in developing capacities for data analysis and use in determining human resource needs, planning interventions and monitoring outcomes and results of the project interventions in the state. With support from the project’s technical team, he/she will collaborate with other IPs especially the lead IP and stakeholders in the SMOH to promote sustainable partnerships, complement and synergies efforts with the responsible persons in the state Ministry of Health, LGAs, and sites for improved health service coverage and outcomes.
The State HRH Manager will report to the HRH Program Manager based at the project’s head office in Abuja, and will attend regular meetings in Abuja to discuss program implementation, planning, and challenges. It is envisioned that the State HRH Manager will be seconded at the SMOH offices.
Capacity for HRH planning, data analysis and use of analysis among management teams and HR managers in the state
Comprehensive and costed HRH plans developed annually and HRH reports prepared quarterly and annually as an integral part of the state health plans and federal plans.
Individual performance plans developed for health workers according to clear job descriptions
Routine performance monitoring and appraisal of health workers implemented
Evidence-based, costed health workforce job incentives packages developed for selected cadres
Coordinate and support the LGA’s implementation of results-oriented supportive supervision
HRIS functional, database maintained up to date, and data reports regularly produced, analyzed and used for decision-making in the LGAs and high- and moderate-volume sites.
Transition plans developed with key stakeholders in the state per standard project template for passing responsibility for implementation of interventions to local authorities
• Ensure effective coverage of all priority local governments within the state on critical project interventions
• Identify unique HR planning and PM challenges in the priority local government of the state and design appropriate local solutions using the OPQ approach
• Facilitate working continuously with state and local partners, including faith-based sites and the private sector, to achieve ownership, political support, and skills transfer for overall project sustainability.
• Offer technical leadership in sharing and developing new and improved strategies, tools and interventions for improved planning, PM and document intervention outcomes
• Avail technical performance standards, assess performance gaps to be reviewed by local teams annually, ensure annual performance improvement plans are made and supervision tools used
• Help implement project interventions and approaches in the areas of recruitment, deployment, and retention
• Identify and develop potential linkages between pre-service and in-service training
• Mentor stakeholders at the states level to create a culture of data use, through developing capacity-building strategies to analyze data and draw conclusions that will improve decision-making and planning.
• Ensure functionality of HRIS in the state, alerting the Abuja-based informatics team or the state-based partners for follow-up on corrective action when needed
• Organize and lead activity interventions, including preparing budgets, tracking expenditures, ensuring work proceeds according to plans and timelines and ensuring the quality of the deliverables.
• Assist health sector managers to review and operationalize HR policies, guidelines, and procedures
• Prepare and provide regular reports on monthly, quarterly and annual basis, including M&E reporting.
• Contribute to activities and work teams as assigned and any other duties as appropriate
Qualifications And Experience
• Advanced degree in public health, epidemiology, economics, biostatistics, or a social sciences field related to human resources for health (e.g., sociology, management, public policy).
• Minimum of five years’ experience implementing or managing HRH or related activities in Nigeria, including involvement in several of the following areas: National HRH assessment, workforce policy and planning, HR development and management and deployment of HR information systems, leadership development, workforce projections and costing, HRH performance management and improvement, delivering or evaluating education for health professionals
Other technical skills
• Familiarity and experience working with the Nigeria health care system, the Ministry of Health, state government, and other development organizations in Nigeria will be a plus.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills, work as effective team member and provide technical guidance to complex multi-site activities.
• Experience and functional familiarity with HRIS or similar systems, or ability to develop those skills quickly
• Proven ability to carry out analyses of HRH issues; and sound costing of interventions to motivate resource allocation for HRH.
• Experience in survey deployment, database management and analysis, and mHealth highly desirable
• Experience working on USAID-funded projects highly desirable
• Clear commitment and record of achievement to building the capacity of local partners.
• Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
• Computer literacy in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
• Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’ s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
• Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’ s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
• Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
• Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
• Effective Oral and Written Communication: Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
• Willingness and ability to work independently with all stakeholders.
• Willingness to be located in the state of assignment
• Willingness to accept additional responsibilities and to work overtime as required.
• Willingness to travel throughout Nigeria to work with partners and key stakeholders, and potentially internationally, as required.
Summary Of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
How to Apply
To apply send your CV and suitability statement to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Manager I, State HRH Systems strengthening Manager, Lagos State”
You can learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1