Pagatech was founded in early 2009 with a vision to enable a cashless
society and bank the unbanked in Africa. Our first product offering,
Paga, is a direct to consumer mobile payments service.
Paga is an
innovative, open, secure, and interoperable mobile payments platform
that allows any
person who has a mobile phone to transact electronically
– thus turning the mobile phone into an electronic wallet.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Manager – Paga Operation
- As a finance manager responsible for Paga operations you will play a
critical role within our organization. You will be primarily
responsible for ensuring the smooth operations of Paga Finance
Operations unit and proper accounting of all transactions as it relates
to the Paga payments service.
- The company will be looking to you to take leadership on all matters relating to the Paga system and the finance function.
- This covers multiple areas including ensuring the smooth conversion
of cash into electronic value, reconciliation of all Paga pool accounts
on a daily basis, managing our key 3rd party partners accounts including
providing reconciliation support, and supporting our customer service
functions to resolve any issues relating to finance.
- The company will be looking to you to design and implement processes
that ensure smooth operations, train and develop your team members.
- To be successful you must be someone who has a strong accounting and
finance acumen, has the ability to lead teams, and able to define
processes and ensure controls are abided. Additionally you must be
someone who cares about others, reliable, trustworthy, takes initiative,
calm under pressure, and have great communication skills – verbal,
non-verbal, and written.
- Designing, implementing, and communicating all processes and controls relating to Paga operations for the finance function
- Coordinate seamless accounting processes with the IT/engineering team
- Ensuring the correct reconciliation of all accounts
- Ensuring the right “climate” within your team – this includes
championing the consistent measurement of how it feels to work in your
team and working with team members to address any issues.
- People development – You will be responsible for taking the lead in
sourcing and providing team members with relevant training for their
- Maintaining an excellent working relationship with our partner banks
- Ensuring the smooth running of Paga operations within the finance department
- Leading a team to execute on the day to day functions
- Ensuring team members abide by agreed controls for all processes
- Strong accounting acumen
- Judgement and decision-making ability
- Communication skills – verbal, non-verbal and written
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and curiosity
- Multi-task and manage competing priorities
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 7+ years of relevant accounting/finance experience with 3+ years of
direct supervision or management of an accounting/finance team or
- Experience working with Banks or companies with significant transaction volumes
- Experience setting up back-end accounting processes and systems for large volume of transactions
- Bachelor’s degree with a first class or 3.5 (and above) GPA a strong plus
- Must have completed the mandatory NYSC.
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or equivalent
- Working knowledge of IFRS standards
- Strong with Excel and data analysis
- Strong written and presentation skills a plus
Job Title: Finance Systems & Forensic Accountant
- The Finance Systems Accountant will provide support to department
activities with specific responsibility for maintaining accurate records
of accounting with a view of ensuring timely, consistent and effective
reports necessary to assist decision making.
- This role will utilize good team work, strong analytical skills,
accounting knowledge, systems knowledge, time management and effective
problem solving skills to ensure success.
- The systems accountant will act as an interface between the finance team and the IT/Engineering team.
- The ideal candidate will work to ensure alignment between all
finance reporting, identifying any data set anomalies and address any
underlying financial system reporting processes deficiencies.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager, Paga Finance Operations to
review of financial and accounting requirements on new business
products, set up the accounting design and required reports applicable
to the operating systems as well as data feeding into corporate
- Hold regular update meetings with the finance operations team and
train staff on new/upgraded processes on the systems accounting
- Work within the scope of the department’s policies, processes and
procedures to analyze and ensure all financial transactions are
- Working closely with the finance managers to ensure that both new
and existing financial features/transactions/reports on the PAGA system
are properly utilized
- Continuously monitor and manage improvement of financial features and reports.
- Keep abreast of regulatory updates and ensure compliance
- Other ad-hoc tasks as assigned by management.
- Conduct daily reconciliations of collection or pool bank accounts to
Paga’s financial records, and perform ad-hoc and regular forensic
accounting exercises on Paga’s financials
- Manage internal controls and processes for system financial data audits and validation enquiries
- Work closely with Product Innovation and Quality Assurance teams in
drafting business cases to support system expansion and changes; testing
and post implementation reviews
- Liaise with Operations Support team on systems bugs or anomalies reported by the finance team
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrate good combined knowledge of accounting and finance practices, and information technology.
- Must be able to work under pressure, deliver work in accordance with
agreed timelines and respond effectively to requests for financial
information/reports by other stakeholders including the finance
department, marketing team and the business leaders
- Must be able to multi-task and manage competing priorities
- Self-driven, hardworking, proactive thinker and problem solver
- Ability to communicate complex issues logically with both finance and non-finance stakeholders.
- Must be able to apply forensic attention to detail including the
reconciliation of financial/accounting records and bank statements
- Must possess intermediate to advanced Excel skills
Qualifications and Experience
- 4 – 6 years in Auditing, Forensic Accounting, Financial Information
Technology, System Data Analysis, Quality Assurance, OR similar role in a
reputable and structured business environment
- First Degree in Accounting or Business concentration; OR First
Degree in another concentration with at least 3 years of financial
system and general accounting experience.
- Certification or relevant work experience with Information Systems Auditing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and cover letters to: email@example.com Email subject should be ‘Finance Systems/Forensic Accountant Role’