Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Researcher
- As Amnesty International’s lead expert on Nigeria, to lead on the development and implementation of overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities, providing research expertise, research management, political judgment and analytical, communication and representational skills.
AI Nigeria Purpose:
- Amnesty International Nigeria is a national human rights entity that is part of a global human rights movement, established to address national human rights priorities as well as create the possibility for people in Nigeria to join Amnesty International’s global human rights campaigns.
- Our mission in Nigeria is to address pertinent national human rights issues through research, campaigning and human rights education, and to empower Nigerians to take action on issues that matter to them through AI’s international human rights movement; and to leverage Nigeria’s influence regionally and globally to promote human rights domestically, bilaterally and internationally.
Amnesty International Purpose:
- We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards. .
Reporting to: Director, Nigeria National Office
Posts that this job manages:
- This post has no line management responsibility. However, the researcher participates in coordinating the work of the team, other participants in research and campaigning projects, temporary staff and team volunteers.
Other Key Relationships:
- The researcher works in close collaboration with the campaigner and other posts in the
- national office, as well as posts in the International Secretariat and in the Amnesty International movement as relevant.
- To lead on the development and implementation of overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities on Nigeria or thematic areas, including strategies to identify the most effective ways to address human rights concerns; and to lead on designing specific projects and producing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating plans for both these and initiatives begun by others.
- To monitor, research, investigate and analyze human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert advice on the human rights situation in Nigeria or thematic areas.
- To organize, take part in and lead, where agreed, field research and other missions, leading specifically on information-gathering, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of human rights concerns, including in response to crisis situations; prepare, where necessary, security assessments, political and other briefings in relation to the mission for Amnesty International management, mission participants and internal or external stakeholders; and represent Amnesty International in the field.
- To represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders, including in governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums, as well as to all forms of news media, civil society organizations and political, economic and other actors; and to communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, campaign strategies to external and internal stakeholders.
- To develop and maintain effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners in and outside the organization – such as human rights activists, members of legal and other professions, UN agencies and governmental representatives – to optimize information gathering and verification and the development and implementation of effective strategies and plans.
- To write reports and other materials for publication and internal use and contribute to and provide expert advice in relation to written and other materials produced by other staff within AI Nigeria, as well in the International Secretariat and in the Amnesty International movement as relevant
- To manage research, oversee the research work carried out by the team and others and, as appropriate, to contribute to the selection of external consultants and supervise, support, coordinate and provide expert advice on their work.
- To contribute to the development and maintenance of an effective information management system.
- To contribute to the development of sub-regional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on the Amnesty International mission, policy, organizational and other issues in order to increase the effectiveness of Amnesty International’s work.
- In consultation with management, to participate in coordinating the work of the team, including through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and contributing to maintaining basic budgets.
- To contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use and provide cover for other staff as agreed with management.
- To perform all necessary administrative tasks to ensure effective self-servicing, participate in the recruitment and induction of new staff and consultants and perform other corporate tasks as appropriate.
What Does Success Look Like In This Job?
- A successful researcher will have developed and implemented an effective and deliverable strategy on Nigeria; produced, implemented, monitored and evaluated related action plans within set deadlines; practiced rigorous analysis and identified critical issues in a timely fashion; maintained and developed effective networks and written high quality reports and other materials for publication and internal use; and effectively represented Amnesty International and communicated its key messages.
- They will have contributed to the effective functioning of the team, and to the implementation of Amnesty International’s mission, upholding Amnesty International’s values at all times.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience of undertaking research on human rights or related issues.
- Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations and others who may be distressed.
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc.
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities.
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with
- Amnesty International’s guidelines on self-servicing.
- Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies.
- Ability to use participatory approaches, methodologies and tools when working with rights holders, partners, AI staff/activists and others
- Specialist knowledge and preferably first-hand experience of Nigeria and/or thematic areas in your brief and an in-depth understanding of the nature of key human rights concerns, as well as political, social, legal, economic, cultural, ethnic, racial and gender issues in them.
- Ability to exercise good political judgment, thorough analysis and diplomacy to develop effective strategies to impact on human rights in the region.
- Ability to represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders; and to communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, strategies to external and internal stakeholders.
- Proven experience of writing research materials for a variety of audiences, together with an understanding of the importance of tailoring materials for various target audiences including through digital channels.
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English and, where applicable, other relevant languages, in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing; draft text in a variety of styles, e.g. documents such as substantial reports, government correspondence and media and action materials.
How You Work – Competencies:
- Competency: Level: (A, B or C)
- Delivering results – level C/B
- Working with others – level C/B
- Developing oneself and others – level B
- Contributing to a dynamic, effective Nigeria National Office – level B
- Making decisions – level B
- Taking the initiative – level C
- Communicating and influencing – level C/B
- Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
Conflict of Interest:
- Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
- Salary is competitive.
- There will be a requirement to travel and represent Amnesty across the country.
- You will be part of a lively network of peers and colleagues from around the world.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Deadline: 7th February, 2016.