The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Assistant Payroll Manager
- This position is local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
Summary of Position
The Assistant Payroll manager will assist the Manager, Payroll in leading the payroll team in order to deliver efficient and effective services to over 1,300 University staff, students and faculty. He or she will assist in the following key areas:
- To liaise with external agencies like the Internal Revenue Services, National Housing Funds and Pension schemes and ensure monthly and annual returns are correct and on time.
- To advise the management team, staff, students and line managers on issues of pay, tax, national insurance, pension and other voluntary deductions. This involves interpreting legislation and regulations to ensure correct advice is given at all times.
- To research, identify and communicate the potential payroll implications to senior management of existing and proposed legislation.
- Manage the input to payroll systems development; to continually review processes and working practices to ensure the University maintains an up-to-date, effective payroll service whilst protecting payroll integrity and security
- Assist in managing our payroll team of 5 staff and ensuring timely and accurate delivery of the payroll, to ensure appropriate reconciliations performed and monies are remitted accurately and on time
- Anticipate the implications of new regulations/legislation and to determine the most appropriate method of implementing changes
- To devise policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and security of the payroll.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or an equivalent field from a recognized tertiary institution with at least five (5) years of post-qualification experience in payroll and employee benefits.
- Membership of relevant accounting institutes will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of a computerized payroll system is preferred
- IT skills in packages such as Word processing and spreadsheets are required.
- Leadership experience is added advantage.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Strong background in mathematics and accounting.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules
- Knowledge of occupational pension schemes, and pension scheme administration.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com
Note: The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 2nd March, 2016.