Vice-Chancellor Job Vacancy at Bells University of Technology
Bells University of Technology is a private Institution established by the Bells Educational Foundation. It was granted an operational license by the Federal Government on 9th June, 2005 and started operating in July 2005 The University has graduated six Sets of Students. It will commence its eleventh Academic Session in September, 2015 (i.e 2015/2016).
The University is a fully residential Institution with excellent Academic and Hall of Residence facilities The position of Vice-Chancellor, Bells University of Technology, Ota will become vacant with effect from 1st July, 2016. Therefore, applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Location: Ota, Ogun
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer and Academic Head of the University, the Chairman of the University Senate and a Member of the Council.
- He/She shall be the chief exponent of the educational mission of the University and his/her office shall serve as the nerve centre of activities in areas of protocol, external relations and coordination of various internal organs.
- The Vice-Chancellor sees to the day-to-day administration of the University and ensures that the goals of the University are met.
- He/She is responsible to the Governing Council for the management of the human, monetary and material resources of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise general superintendence over the University and be responsible to Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University.
- It is the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to see that the provisions of the law, the Statutes,the Ordinances and the Regulations of the University are observed and adhered to, and he/she shall exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for that purpose.
- The Vice-Chancellor must therefore be competent at all times to advise Council on all matters pertaining to the policies, finances and administration of the University.
- The success on this job will depend on the candidate’s ability to lead, motivate and inspire administrative associates, academic and non-academic staff as well as students and all other stakeholders to work toward the central purpose of the University to advance learning, enhance talent and build community.
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good university education and should be a proven successful manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the candidate must:
- Be a distinguished and acclaimed scholar of the rank of a Professor of very high repute with academic qualifications, including possession of a Ph.D. and publications that are of both national and international standard;
- Be a Professor within a field of specialization relevant to the academic programmes under the mandate of Bells University of Technology, Ota and must have a minimum of twenty (20) years of academic or cognate experience, at least ten (10) of which must be as a Professor;
- Be not more than sixty(60)years of age on 1st August, 20l6whenthe position is scheduled to be assumed;
- Possess the ability to provide cutting edge and dynamic academic and administrative leadership for the University and through his/her track record, command the respect of both the national and international academic communities;
- Have a good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciate their significance in the contemporary knowledge economy;
- Have a clear vision and a feasible plan for the development of the University in line with the set mission and vision statements of the University;
- Possess the entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract research funds, gifts and endowments to the University and strengthen linkages with other national and international universities, research institutions and relevant segments of the private sector;
- Have the wherewithal to ensure harmonious and peaceful co-existence among the various segments of the University Community; and create the much needed harmony between staff and students on one hand and between the University and the host communities (town-gown relations) on the other;
- Be of such stature as to command respect of the University Community and provide academic and administrative leadership in the University;
- Be a person of probity, integrity and courage, able to defend and uphold the academic independence of the University, sustain its pedigree; and be competent at all times to advise the University Council on matters affecting the academic programmes, projects, finances and administration of the University.
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health.
Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold the office for a term of five (5) years in the first instance; renewable, based on performance assessment, for a final term of five years and not more, on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a Vice-chancellor in BellsTech and as may be determined by the Board of Trustees/Governing Council of the University, taking due cognisance of the situation in the Nigerian university system.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send thirty (30) copies of their applications and accompanied by 30 copies of their curriculum vitae duly signed and dated.
The curriculum vitae must include the following:
- Full name,
- Date of birth,
- Marital status,
- Names of spouse and children,
- Educational institutions attended,
- Educational and professional qualifications, with dates,
- Membership of learned societies,
- Registration with professional bodies,
- Academic and professional achievements,
- Research interests, publications, portfolios, patents, work experience, administrative experience, attendance at conferences and other international exposure, national and community service, among other things;
Each application should include the full names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three (3) referees. Each Referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, direct to the Pro- Chancellor and Chairman of Council, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic and administrative or managerial competences in a properly sealed envelope marked Post of Vice-Chancellor: Referee’s Report at the top left hand corner.
Each application must be accompanied by thirty (30) copies of the statement of the candidate’s vision for Bells University of Technology in the 21st Century.
In the case of candidates identified by the Search Committee, the application shall conform to the requirements (First and Fourth Paragraph) above, and in addition, the candidate shall present a letter of consent, duly signed by him/her along with the application.
All applications and supporting documents should be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council,
Bells University of Technology,
Km 8, Idiroko Expressway,
Ota – Ogun State,
Sealed envelope(s) containing the applications or nominations should be marked Post of Vice-Chancellor, and must be forwarded to reach the above address not later than the closing date above.
The submission of the hard copy must be accompanied by full electronic version of the application and accompanying materials to be mailed as attachment in PDF format to: VCSearch@bellsuniversity.edu.ng, the subject line should read, “Application for the Post of Vice-Chancellor”.
Referees should be similarly encouraged to submit Signed electronic copies of their references in PDF format to the same address.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
5th April, 2016.