International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees,
and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
IITA seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan:
Job Title: Financial Controller
Job Ref: DDG-CS/FD/04/16
Location: Ibadan, Nigeria
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
- First Degree in any discipline plus a recognised professional accounting qualification – ACA, CPA, ACCA. The possession of an MBA is highly desirable and will be an advantage.
- Minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience in core accounting function from a leading or well structured accounting firm, and three (3) of which must be at a senior management level.
- Excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Ability and proven track record in leadership of small groups; experience as a manager of staff, team builder / leader; and ability as a manager of strategic relationships.
- Proficiency in at least one major enterprise management system (oracle, sun, platinum SAGE, etc.) and relevant computer applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are essential, including ability to set out coherent presentations and group interactions.
- Relevant finance experience should include planning, forecasting and enterprise financial systems with emphasis on budgeting and financial reporting (with sound knowledge / hands on experience of IFRS).
- Experience in working with a leading accounting firm or international organization or multinational private sector company within a cross- cultural environment at a senior level
- The Financial Controller will have responsibility for understanding the strategic direction of the organization and assist the Director of Finance (DoF) in providing high level, proactive financial expertise and direction for both short-term and long-term financial planning and management.
- In conjunction with DoF, lead the task of preparing IITA annual financial statements to comply fully with International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) by 2016.
- Assist to prepare accurate and timely medium-term financial plan/annual budget.
- Monitor financial performance against budget to support the dynamic re-allocation of resources according to priorities.
- Working with the Head of Internal Audit, advise DoF on the integrity of the Institute’s Investment policies and reporting and control procedures.
- Remain up to date on non-profit audit and financial best practices.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the DoF and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Work with the DoF to craft a long-term strategy for Finance Directorate by providing advice on issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and work plans for the various workshops in Finance Directorate.
- Advise the DoF on long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the Institute’s strategic plan, considering limitations and changes in the funding environment, strategic growth opportunities and collaborations with external organizations.
- Ensure compliance and maintain oversight for all accounting and operating activities.
- Lead the annual financial audits; review audit materials, and prepare management response to internal and external auditors.
Team Management / Training:
- Mentor and develop finance management teams, providing input on work allocation, training, trouble-shooting, problem and conflict resolution, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Train accounting personnel and other users on accounting controls and procedures.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge during periods of absence of the DoF.
- Any other finance-related duties assigned by Director of Finance.
A competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward their Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Click here to apply
Click here for more information (PDF)
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
- only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline 25th May, 2016.