United States Mission Nigeria Vacancy Announcement for a Plumber
JOB TITLE: Plumber, FSN- 04/FP-AA
OPENING DATE: April 12, 2016
CLOSING DATE: April 25, 2016
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Location: ABUJA – FACILITIES MAINTENANCE SECTION (FAC)
Applicability: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
SALARY: OR – Ordinarily Resident–N2,999,666 p.a
(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-04
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM, EFM/MOH–US$25,261
(Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-AA
NOTE: ALL NOT ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. A U.S. CITIZEN EFM DOES NOT HAVE TO BE RESIDING IN COUNTRY TO BE CONSIDERED, BUT THE SPONSORING OFFICER UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION (COM) AUTHORITY DOES HAVE TO BE ASSIGNED OFFICIALLY TO POST.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for
Plumber position in the Facilities Maintenance Section (FAC), Abuja.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact
applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION:
The incumbent carries out skilled maintenance and repair work to the facilities’ plumbing and other related systems as necessary throughout the embassy compound buildings, its grounds and residential leased properties. The position performs installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing systems and equipment, including utility, supply and disposal systems, fixtures, fittings and equipment. S/he receives written or verbal requests for maintenance or repair services, ascertains all necessary information to determine whether work is of a routine or urgent nature, and other duties as assigned.
S/he is directly supervised by the Maintenance Foreman – Plumbing.
All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with
specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination
that the applicant is not qualified.
1. Completion of Elementary/Primary School or Vocational training school is required.
2. Minimum of one (1) year journeyman plumbing experience is required.
3. Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is
Language Proficiency will be tested.
4. Full journeyman plumbing knowledge and techniques to perform residential and nonresidential
installation, maintenance and repair tasks is required.
5. Must be able to use all types of plumbing tools.
6. A valid Nigerian driver’s license is required
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be
obtained on our website at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/hr_office.html and/or by
telephone number 09-461-4000 Ext 4261.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a
hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants
accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a
determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP**
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S.
Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status
in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or
Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not
eligible to apply
3. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a
Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90
calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed
(WAE) work schedule
4. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after
5. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year
remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this
You can also download the complete job description here
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
1. Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or
curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
2. Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed
above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
3. A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position,
and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job
title and announcement number on the application letter.
4. Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
5. E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will
not be considered.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Email Address: HRNigeria@state.gov
**Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission in Nigeria provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
CLOSING DATE: APRIL 25, 2016
United States Mission Nigeria Vacancy Announcement for a Plumber