UNESCO Current Job Vacancy for National Professional Officer (Culture)
In 1945, UNESCO was created in order to respond to the firm belief of nations, forged by two world wars in less than a generation, that political and economic agreements are not enough to build a lasting peace. Peace must be established on the basis of humanity’s moral and intellectual solidarity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Professional Officer (Culture)
Post Number: 6NGCLTI000RP
OrnizationaI Unit: UNESCO Abuja Office
Type of contract: Fixed-Term
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director General for Culture (AOGICLT) and the functional authority of the Dwector of the UNESCO Office in Abuja, and the direct supervision of the Head of the Culture Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for programme and project work, advice, research and knowledge management, networking, partnerships and resource mobilization carried out under Major Programme IV – Culture, with an emphasis on the national perspective of Nigeria to the Field Office and the Culture Sector (CLT) work as well as to multisectoral and cross country programmatic activities and initiatives conducted from the UNESCO Office in Abuja. The incumbent will work within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium Term Strategy (C14s), the approved Programme and Budget (C15) for Major Programme IV (Culture) and global development plans, notably the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
In this context, the incumbent will:
- Participate in the conceptualization, design, planning, development, coordination, monitoring and implementation of the Field Office’s Culture strategies and corresponding programmes, projects and activities. Identify entry points for culture and focus on areaswithin national priorities, and propose aligninent of the latter with Culture priorities, at the national and regional levels, particularly for the promotion, preservation and safeguarding of tangible, intangible and movable heritage, as well as the promotion of the diversity of cultural expressions. Ensure programme alignment with the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development building on the Culture-related entry points in the framework of the social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- Establish collaborative and influential partnerships with stakeholders and enhance UNESCO’s standing and inf luence with think-tank institutions, universities and research centers in the area of Culture. Liaise with colleagues of the Sector and other Sectors of UNESCO; support the efficient carrying out of joint programme and project work and maintain close relations with local authorities, governmental and national professional organizations. Contribute to the development of national cultural policies. In this cart- text, maintain strongworking relations with relevant cultural institutions, as well as pertinent intergovemmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Contribute to resource mobilization for the country by developing concept notes and project proposalson the basis of situational analysis and needs assessments and in accordance with the C15. Deal with UN Agencies seeking or marketing joint programmes, bilateral and multilateral partners, continental development Banks (e.g. ADB or others) and International Institutions. Prepare and follow upon submissions, Coordinate donor meetings, including state of the art peer consultations. Prepare inputs and strive to generate extra budgetary projects and fuhdiñg.
- Provide material to support the PMT of the UN Country Team (IJNCT) to organize, monitor and evaluate UNDAF and CPDs (country programme documents) in the light of cultural indicators and other relevant standard setting instruments prepared by the Sector. Ensure support to meetings, workshops and training hosted by UNESCO.
- Participate in UNOAF/Delivering as One planning and implementation, as well as in other joint collaborations with development partners.
- University Degree (preferably at Masters or with equivalent relevant professional experience) in the field of Culture, Social and Human Sciences (or related area).
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible relevant experience, in project implementation in the field of Culture.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing programme work plans.
- Relevant professional training in the field of culture.
- Familiarity with the political and cultural context of the region.
- Knowledge of local language (s) will be an asset.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills;
- Proven resource mobilization skills;
- Experience in designing and implementing policies and programmes;
- Familiarity with UNESCO’s standard-setting instruments and programmes in the field of cultural heritage;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (vcrballi and in writin);
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations; Ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment;
- Discretion and maturity of judgement;
- Good knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Excellent/very good knowledge/ of English and good knowiedge of French.
Annual salary 17,721,923 Naira
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications, accompanied with their updated resumes, certificates and a completed UNESCO CV form by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download Application Form
Note: Applications should be submitted not later than the above closing date midnight (Nigerian time).
Deadline: 26th May, 2016.