The University of lbadan is the oldest and prestigious Nigerian University and is located in Ibadan, one of the three largest cities in Africa. It has attained a position of eminence in various disciplines and remains a major pioneer in the development of research in Africa.
The position of University Librarian of the University of Ibadan, Nigeria will become vacant with effect from 13 September, 2016. Therefore, applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- The University Librarian, who is a Principal Officer of the University is the Chief Library Manager of the University and is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University’s Library System which is made up as follows:
- A main Library (Kenneth Dike Library)
- College of Medicine (E. Latunde Odeku Library)
- 13 Faculties’ Libraries
- Two Institutes’ Libraries
- Centres’ Libraries
- The candidate for the University Librarian position must possess good honours degree(s) in any discipline and a Masters degree in Library Information Studies from recognized universities.
- The possession of a PhD degree in similar areas will be an added advantage.
- In addition to the academic/professional qualifications, the candidate must possess evidence of membership of library professional bodies and registration with the Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN), which is the regulatory agency for the practice of librarianship in Nigeria.
- Of equal importance is that the candidate must possess sufficient evidence of continual scholarship and contribution to knowledge through publications in reputable peer reviewed outlets both within and outside the country.
- Above all, the candidate must possess good managerial skills and competences including a clear understanding of the nature and dynamics of the intricacies in deploying information technologies as tools for the management of information collections in line with global best practices in contemporary university libraries.
- The prospective candidate must have put a minimum of fifteen (15) years of cognate work experience in university library(ies).
- Ten (10) of these years must have been at Library Management position
- A candidate occupying a position lower than that of a Deputy University Librarian need not apply.
- Furthermore the candidate should not be more than 65 years old by 13th September, 2016.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of University Librarian of all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the University Governing Council.
- The successful candidate shall hold the office for a period of five (5) years. The appointment, subject to satisfactory performance may, however, be extended for one (1) year and no more in line with the extant law.
- Fringe benefits include a Pension Scheme in consonance with the Contributory Pension Scheme and appropriate allowances as may be approved from time to time by the Government or University Council.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward applications and thirty (30) copies of detailed Curriculum Vitae stating the following:
- Full names (surname first),
- Date of Birth (not age),
- Marital Status,
- State of Origin,
- Postal/E-mail Address,
- Full Qualifications with dates,
- Work experience(s),
- Names and addresses of three (3 Referees.
They should also forward, in not more than a page, a statement of their vision and mission for the Library of a mature University along with two (2) Photostat copies of each of their certificates to:
The Registrar and Secretary to council,
University of lbadan,
All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover with the envelope marked ‘Post of University Librarian , University of Ibadan’
Note: Only the applications of shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
25th May, 2016.