UN Women, among other issues, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; empowerment of women; and achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Job Title: National Consultant: Baseline Survey for Emergency Assistance to Women/Girl IDPs and other Women/Girls Survivors of Insurgency in Northern Nigeria
Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the expected results from this baseline study:
- Changes anticipated as part of this intervention clearly identified;
- Enhanced understanding of gender responsiveness of humanitarian action in the 3 project states;
- Priority areas on Economic Empowerment for women and girls affected by the insurgency identified and initiated.
- Under the guidance of and reporting directly to the supervising baseline survey consultant, each Research Assistant will be responsible for the following generic on-demand activities:
- Compile, analyze and synthesize information for the supervising baseline survey consultant;
- Perform research assistance to carry out data collection in respect of the baseline survey assignment in this initiative;
- Support the development of methodologies, reports, briefs, etc. on specific issues;
- Characterize specific groups in terms of different indicator;
- Performing background research assistance (qualitative and quantitative);
- Deliver the specific products described above within the established deadlines.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Highly developed research assistance skills;
- Strong analytical skills, and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources;
- Computer literate; must be able to use the Internet and other research and applied research tool effectively;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Teamwork – excellent interpersonal, organizational and management skills and ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams is critical.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Politics, International Relations or related development field. Master’s degree may be an additional asset.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Able to manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to field based emergencies;
- Ability to operate effectively in a changing and complex environment, and to produce results under stress;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Proven organizational and communication skills;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Strong analytical capabilities;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the area of field data gathering preferably in Nigeria;
- Strong research background. Experience in data collection and analysis;
- Knowledge of women’s rights issues in the context of Peace and Security, gender equality and SGBV matters;
- Able to work independently with efficiency and competence;
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in a major local language of northern Nigeria will be highly valued.
How to Apply
Click Here to Apply
Deadline: 14th June 2016