New Job Openings at at The US Embassy
Job Title: Political Specialist
No. 2016-061 Date: June 01, 2016 Ref: A10000
Subject: POLITICAL SPECIALIST
Location: LAGOS – POLITICAL/ECONOMIC SECTION
Applicability: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: Political Specialist, FSN-10/FP-05/5* OPENING DATE: June 01, 2016
CLOSING DATE: June 14, 2016
WORK HOURS: Full-Time; 40 hours/week
SALARY: OR Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N8,795,684 p.a.
(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-10
NOR – Not-Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$58,032 p.a.
EFM/MOH – US$49,804 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-05/5*
NOTE: ALL NOT ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. A U.S. CITIZEN EFM DOES NOT HAVE TO BE RESIDING IN COUNTRY TO BE CONSIDERED, BUT THE SPONSORING OFFICER UNDER COM AUTHORITY DOES HAVE TO BE OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST.
The U.S. Consulate in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Political Specialist in the Political/Economic Section.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION:
The incumbent supports Pol/Econ Section by assisting in analyzing policy issues including national politics, local politics in Nigeria’s 17southern states, human rights, trafficking in persons, religious freedom, and other social or political developments. S/he communicates the significance and underlying drivers of each issue to Foreign Service Officers in the section. Additionally, s/he maintains a wide range of contacts at various levels and in various sectors, including government, academia, and NGOs.
NOTE: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, History, Philosophy, Law, Sociology, Economics, Business, Communications or related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a position requiring strong analytical and writing skills is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English Language is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough understanding of Nigeria’s political and economic systems, constitution, and history is required. Must have broad range of contacts across a variety of organizations, including politics, government, business, academia, and civil society.
- Must be able to analyze, organize, and present information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Spreadsheet, and PowerPoint is required.
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained on our website athttp://nigeria.usembassy.gov/hr_office.html and/or by telephone number 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered.