An International Development Organization is seeking applications from qualified Nigerian nationals for the following position:
Job Title: State Engineer – 2 positions
The State Engineer will support
the Engineering and Environmental Compliance Manager to ensure that all
projects are implemented in accordance with sound technical,
environmental and engineering standards. The State Engineer provides
technical support, training and supervision to project engineers who are
implementing small and medium-sized infrastructure subprojects. The
State Engineer will provide technical input to NERI staff during the
project identification, development and implementation: including budget
preparation, scheduling, environmental reviews and compliance
monitoring, preparing and reviewing designs, and progress monitoring and
reporting. The State Engineer will ensure that all infrastructure
projects are completed within the available timeframe, allowing
sufficient time for close down, demobilization, handover, final
invoicing, and, if necessary, contract termination.
Reporting & Supervision:
The State Engineer technically
reports to the Engineering & Environmental Compliance Manager in
Abuja and administratively to the State Program Manager based
respectively in Adamawa and Yobe State. The State Engineer has no direct
reportees, but oversees the work of up to 10 temporary project
engineers at a time.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
- Directly supervise
construction and renovation works in the program area, and/or provide
technical assistance and supervision to Project Engineers for all NERI
infrastructure projects within the program area
- Assist the Program team in
identifying and developing infrastructure projects. Input will include,
but not be limited to, establishing constructability, identifying
potential field difficulties, and budget preparation to include
material, labor, equipment and service costs
- Conduct final checks on
project designs and specifications to ensure that all designs, drawings
and BOQs are in accordance with sound technical, environmental and
engineering standards before passing on to Abuja for final approval
- Prepare EDFs, identifying mitigation measures into projects. Ensure
that these mitigation measures are planned, budgeted and carried out
- Conduct monitoring visits to
infrastructure project sites, including unannounced visits in order to
monitor progress and ensure compliance
- Assist in evaluating and prequalifying potential subcontractors
- Set up and maintain local price databases using inputs from the procurement teams, past activities and assessment visits.
- Assist in the tendering, tender evaluation and contract recommendation processes for sub consultants and sub contracts.
- Directly carry out, or oversee Project Engineer pre-final and final inspection of all infrastructure works
- Technically review all invoices for state infrastructure subprojects submitted according to project invoice review procedures;
- Interface with grantees, sub-contractors and vendors as required ensuring transparent program processes are upheld.
- Participate in final review and close out of grant activities
- Any other duties suitable to task and commensurate with ability
Required Skills & Qualifications
- University degree in Civil Engineering or similar field of study.
- 5 years’ general work
experience. 4 years’ specific work experience with a large portfolio
assistance program providing infrastructure project implementation:
Construction supervision as Resident Engineer, Construction Manager or
Contractor’s Site Representative.
- Familiarity with USAID Environmental Compliance regulations and experience in preparation of EDFs
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and apply problem solving skills and provide technical supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage a diverse range of professional relationships essential.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English.
- Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri desired.
How to Apply
Applicants for this position MUST submit the following documents to email@example.com by July 29, 2016:
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all job responsibilities; AND
- A cover letter
Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume/CV. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.