Communication Specialist Job at IITA
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) – Aflasafe is a revolutionary biocontrol product, developed by IITA, United States Department of Agriculture – Agriculture Research Service (USDA-ARS) and national partners, which reduces the prevalence of aflatoxins in treated maize and groundnut by 80% – 99% from farm to fork.
The ATTC Project, funded jointly by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), is designed to run for five years. It is slated to cover eleven countries where aflasafe is, or will soon, likely to be a nationally registered product: Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, The Gambia, Zambia, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Malawi and Uganda. IITA is looking for a uniquely qualified professional to lead the public relations and communication of the project.
IITA invites applications for the internationally recruited position below for the Aflasafe Technology Transfer and Commercialization Project:
Job Title: Communication Specialist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/CS/A/08/16
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reporting Line: The Communication Specialist will report to the Managing Director of the ATTC Project.
- Lead the development and implementation of the communication strategy for the project to improve its visibility.
- Support the manufacturing and distribution companies of Aflasafe to develop and promote the aflasafe brand.
- Support the awareness creation component of the project.
- Develop and implement communication plans and campaigns to support ATTC project activities, and promote results and impact among investors/donors, partners, beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Lead all public events organized by the project such as launches, business meetings, products presentations, networking events.
- Capture and write up stories about ATTC work for a range of stakeholders and platforms in various formats including video, radio, stills, website and print publications.
- Generate/contribute written content and provide editing and quality control in the production of various publications and project documents such as progress reports, newsletters, annual highlights, R4D Review, among others
- Plan, edit and design a variety of print products/ publications using desktop publishing tools.
- Regularly monitor and report on website analytics to inform digital strategies online.
- Redesign the Aflasafe website, enrich content, provide editorial support and offer guidance to a widening pool of website contributors.
- Create and manage the project’s social media channels, uploading information and materials; monitoring comments and giving feedback.
- Mentor and train program staff in a variety of communications and digital media skills (e.g. social media, writing blogs, editorial style and guidelines, brand).
- The candidate should have a Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Arts.
- 5+ years of professional experience in corporate, or developmental communication; direct experience of working in private sector preferred.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Relevant experience with website production and maintenance, digital media production and management, and design.
- Relevant experience in the development and promotion of brands.
- Experience in designing and organizing high level business and advocacy/policy events.
- Good oral and written communication in French is an advantage.
- The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: Candidates are encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received.