International Trials Manager II at IITA
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Trials Manager II
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-041
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Serve as a manager for the support of project building and sustainable Integrated Cassava Seed Systems in Nigeria (BASICS);
- Contribute in designing, planning and implementing of project activities for the breeders seed and quality seed components including multiplication of pre-basic seed, design and running on-station and on-farm demand create trials as well as on-station experiments to demonstrate the benefits of using clean cassava stems;
- Contribute to the development, data collection, curation and analysis of all data of IITA’s involvement in the BASCIS project including multiplication production, inventory and cost information, certification and stem sales records, and experiments to improve multiplication methods;
- Assist with publishing research output in peer-reviewed international journal articles;
- Implement the SAH rapid multiplication system for cassava in Nigeria at IITA and backstop its implementation with other partners including NRCRI and a private processor;
- Implement and ensure quality seed production and seed certification for cassava with national partners including associated record keeping;
- Track seed flows in all stages of multiplication from pre-basic, basic and commercial seed stages;
- Organize commercial stem transactions at all stages including pricing, payment and accounting of transactions;
- Contribute to project monitoring and evaluation;
- Provide technical support to National Agricultural Research and Extension System and commercial seed producers the regions of project operations;
- Contribute in the development and dissemination of training documents (flyers, newsletters, posters, training and extension manual etc.);
- Liaise between other projects with similar objectives to ensure the coordination of related activities;
- Facilitate hosting of RTB staff at IITA;
- Perform other duties as needed and requested by the supervisor.
- M.Sc. in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Crop Production or related discipline. Minimum of 12 years relevant experience performing similar role. Agricultural economics or agric business management experience will be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent entrepreneurial drive to develop profitable cassava stem businesses
- Demonstrable supervisory and management skills.
- Experience in propagation of clonally propagated crops (such as cassava), conducting field trials, working in the laboratory and screenhouse settings, managing experiments including data collection and analysis.
- Passion and commitment for academic excellence.
- Able to cope with heavy workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Ability to innovate, quickly adapt and apply new methods.
- Ability to organize, analyse data and prepare excellent technical reports and publications.
- Very good leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an interdisciplinary team with an international and intercultural background.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.