Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide knows how to shine a light on hospitality. One of the world’s largest hotel companies, it has some 1,000 properties in about 100 countries. Starwood’s hotel empire consists of upscale brands such as Sheraton and Westin. It operates about 100 luxury resorts and hotels through its St. Regis and Luxury Collection, while its chain of about 40 W Hotels offers ultra-modern style. Other brands include Four Points (value-oriented), Le Méridien (European-inspired), Aloft (select-service), and Element (extended stay). Its Starwood Vacation Ownership operates about 15 time-share resorts. Notable Starwood hotels include the St. Regis in New York and the Hotel Gritti Palace in Venice.
Job Title: General Manager
Provide the leadership expertise that ensures the effective and efficient operation of the hotel, including, but not limited to, the quality and legal defensibility of services provided, and the achievement of stated operational goals and profitability objectives. Manage the operations of the hotel in order to maximize profitability and to ensure superior guest service and product quality. Participate in total hotel management as a member of the hotel Executive Committee.
• Lead, through subordinate staff, the effective management of the Rooms, Food & Beverage and Engineering functional areas to maximize financial performance while upholding quality standards and maximizing levels of guest satisfaction.
• Direct the maximization of room revenue by anticipation of market shifts, development and monitoring of annual business and marketing plans, and participating in appropriate national marketing efforts.
• Measure the effectiveness of broad-based marketing plans and yield management efforts to maximize the number of market segments needed and to diversify the sources of revenues.
• Ensure the development of a realistic and attainable strategic business plan that defines operational goals and profitability objectives.
• Coordinate capital improvement projects to maintain/upgrade quality standards and property image, and to protect assets from neglect, damage or deterioration.
• Direct, manage, train and counsel sales, catering and revenue management staff. Actively participate in sales presentations, property tours and customer meetings.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
• Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Most tasks are performed independently or in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
• Must possess advanced computational ability.
• Must possess advanced computer skills.
• Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
• Extensive knowledge of sales skills.
• Ability to assess/evaluate other employees’ performance in a fair and consistent manner.
• Extensive knowledge of revenue management.
• Ability to supervise, train and motivate multiple levels of managers.
• Knowledge of hotels and competitive markets.
• Ensure that guest satisfaction is consistently obtained and maintained.
• Possess advanced knowledge of the principles and practices within all hotel disciplines, including experiential knowledge for management of people and complex problems.
• Ability to study, analyze and interpret complex activities and/or information in order to improve new practices or develop new approaches.
• Ability to make decisions with only general policies and procedures available for guidance.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Hotel/Restaurant or Business Administration, or equivalent education/experience required.
- Minimum of six years’ hotel management experience required.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Starwood standards.
Le Meridien Ogeyi Place is an 86 room property located in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. This polished hotel is adjacent to the Port Harcourt Polo Club and 3 km from the Air Assault Golf Course.
Port Harcourt is the capital of the oil-rich Niger-Delta region and has a population of 541,115. It is around an hour flight away from both Abuja and Lagos. International schooling options are limited, so the ideal candidate for this role would not be looking to relocate children of schooling age.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 1,300 properties in over 100 countries and over 180,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences under the renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, along with an expanded partnership with Design Hotels™. The Company also boasts one of the industry’s leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®). Please visit www.starwoodhotels.com for more information.
How to Apply