Research Supervisor (Seed Multiplication) at IITA
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Seed Multiplication)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in multiplication of virus-free cassava planting material using several different rapid multiplication methods;
- Assist in testing of treatments to improve multiplication rate and reduce cost of rapid multiplication systems in the laboratory and field;
- Assist in planting, maintenance, data collection, harvesting and post-harvest handling of roots and stems from variety trials on-station and on-farm;
- Assist with stem sales of pre-basic seed include keeping records of sales and facilitating payment and deposit of revenue from stem sales;
- Participate in training of technicians and partners on methods of cassava stem multiplication;
- Assist in supervising subordinate staff on field, laboratory and screenhouse activities;
- Assist in providing technical backstopping to cassava seed multipliers,
- Assist in collection and analyses of field and lab data including preparation of quality technical reports;
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- HND/B.Sc Degree in Plant Breeding, Crop Production, Agricultural Extension, Plant Science, Biochemistry, or related disciplines with 2 years’ experience performing similar role.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Very good knowledge of plant breeding and seed production of vegetative propagated crops
- Demonstrable supervisory experience (lab/field).
- At least three years of experience in a similar position with experience in propagation of clonally propagated crops (such as cassava), conducting field trials, working in the laboratory and screenhouse settings, managing experiments including data collection and analysis.
- Passion and commitment for academic excellence.
- Computer literacy, data organization and analysis skills
- Good capability and readiness to travel independently within Nigeria, and work in the fields.
- Good coping skills with heavy workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Ability to learn new skills, quickly adapt and apply new methods.
- Ability to interpret data and prepare good technical reports.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an interdisciplinary team with an international and intercultural background.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce, therefore female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.