ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by more than seven million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Ottawa, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
Job Title: Campaigns Intern
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
As the Campaigns Intern, you will support ONE’s campaigning and advocacy work in Africa with a focus on Nigeria, planning activities that engage our members and influence political leaders. The ideal candidate will be a confident self-starter, sympathetic to ONE’s agenda and able to handle a varied and fast-paced role. If you have some knowledge or experience in budget advocacy and member mobilization skills we urge you to apply! The Campaigns Intern will report directly to the Campaigns Officer and also the Nigeria Country Representative, and will be based in Abuja, Nigeria, with some occasional travel in and around Nigeria. This is a temporary, fixed term contract until December 2016.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Devise, develop and deliver impactful, creative campaigns which promote ONE’s policy and advocacy messages to a diverse audience and contribute to policy change
- Support the development and delivery of our campaign around the Nigeria Health Budget Campaign
- Support in running the Nigeria Champions program, including recruitment, running campaigning and advocacy training, and designing and executing campaign stunts.
- Recruit new ONE members through a range of creative means.
- Write occasional content for ONE.org’s blog, support with generating content for @ONEinAfrica Twitter account and support the management of the ONE Champions Facebook pages as well as the ONE Member Whatsapp Groups
- Support in the management of attendance at festivals and events
- Work closely within the Africa team to identify opportunities in Nigeria for the promoting ONE’s key messages.
- Undertake any other duties as required.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration, with a willingness to get stuck in and having a positive and proactive approach to tasks
- Fluent in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organised, with an ability to multitask, prioritise and with strong attention to detail
- Able to work in a fast paced environment, juggling competing priorities and working to tight deadlines
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Experience of working on simultaneous or complex projects
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage people at all levels and different backgrounds
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Outlook and Excel, as well as Twitter and Facebook
- Experience of working with young diverse groups of people
- A commitment to ONE’s aims and familiarity with international development issues
- Knowledge and experience of Nigerian politics, media landscape and civil society, and a proven interest in international development and Africa, are desirable
- Ability consistently to apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
INTERESTED? LET’S CHAT!
If you think you have what it takes to make an impact, please submit an application, resume, a cover letter (explaining why you are the best person for the job), salary history, AND your desired salary on our jobs page at jobs.one.org. The deadline for applications is 4 March, 2016. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorized to work and travel in Nigeria without any restrictions need apply.
How to Apply