UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the
empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Strategic Planning and Programme Design Consultant
Location: Home-based (with possible mission(s) to Abuja, Nigeria), NIGERIA
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 08-Oct-2016
Duration of Initial Contract: 15 Working Days
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Government of Japan, is implementing a one-year project titled” Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in North East Nigeria including Adamawa, Bauchi and Gombe States. It focuses on filling critical gaps in mainstreaming gender effectively and comprehensively in the on-going humanitarian response activities in the following areas:
In the last few months, new areas have been made accessible to humanitarian actors. According to IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Round X Report (June, 2016), there are an estimated 1.77 million people displaced in Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe and Yobe as a consequence of the conflict. It is important to note that approximately 83 per cent or 1.4 million IDPs of this population are in Borno alone. An estimated 86 per cent of IDPs live in host communities while the remaining 14 per cent live in IDP camps. Of the total IDP population, women and children make up the vast majority. According to UNHCR Rapid Protection Assessment Report, sexual exploitation and abuse is pervasive. Women and girls have had to submit to sexual advances to gain access to essential needs or freedom of movement. There is urgent need for psychosocial response to address effects of serious human rights violations giving rise to psychosocial needs which are not addressed currently.
Duties and Responsibilities
More precisely, the Strategic Planning and Programme Design Consultant will complete the following tasks:
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Required Skills and Experience
How to Apply
Click here to apply
Deadline 11th October, 2016