The U.S. Consulate in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the General Services Office (GSO):
Job Title: Auto Mechanic, FSN-05/FP-9*Ref.: A52912
Location: Lagos – General Services Office (GSO)
Work Hours: Full-time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent repairs light, heavy and armored gasoline and diesel powered motor vehicles and forklifts.
- Examines vehicles to determine problems, carries out needed repairs, and performs safety checks and periodic maintenance.
- Responsible for knowing and adhering to shop safety procedures.
- Reports to the maintenance foreman any repairs not specified on the service work order.
- Performs repairs of car air-conditioning parts and filing of the appropriate gas into the system.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Completion of Secondary School education with vocation training in Automotive Mechanic work is required.
- Ability to diagnose, service, repair, and overhaul engines, transmissions, brakes, steering, car air conditioning, and electrical components of General motors Chevrolet, suburban
- Must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license to operate light vehicles and trucks as well as ability to operate wrecker and tow vehicles form one location to another.
- Minimum of five (5) years of general auto mechanic experience, mainly in the area of servicing, overhauls, and repairs of engines, transmissions, brakes, steering, car air conditioning and electrical components of American motor vehicles (General Motors, Chevrolet suburban and cars, Ford, and Chrysler motor vehicles).
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Writing/Reading in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N3,736,693 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-05
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$32,931 p.a EFM/MOH – US$28,262 (Full-Time Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-09*
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
Application Deadline 22nd November, 2016.