UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the
empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Finance Associate
Locations: Adamawa, Gombe, Plateau
Post Level: SB-3
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Mar-2017
Duration of Initial Contract: One Year
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
About this Position
- Program Finance Associate will work under the direct supervision of Gender Technical Adviser and overall guidance of Operations Manager.
- The Programme Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations and the Project Teams within the UN Wome Nigeria Office in Abuja on finance-related issues.
- The Programme Finance Associate also provides support to effective and efficient programme procurement processes.
- The Programme Finance Associate is responsible to support the financial management of all aspects for the site office and to support the effective and transparent utilization of financial resources of respective site office.
- The Programme Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- University degree or equivalent in Business or Public Administration.
- A minimum of 4 years of Financial and administrative experience preferably in a large or international corporation or organization;
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) as well as web based management systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures effective programme financial operations of respective site office
- Facilitate effective communications and information management support
- Support to external relations activities
Description of Functions
Ensures effective programme financial operations:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Ensure financial records are in compliance with SOPs, IPSAS and other UN Women Financial Rules and Regulations; at site office;
- Coordinate with Un Women partners on site in order to resolve accounting queries/problems and discrepancies; and
- Implement and follow internal controls including follow-up on pending payments related to site office.
- Assist the Leads in fulfilling their responsibilities and escalate to the next level of authority when necessary;
- Compilations of Direct payments request form Partners and submit to Country office for processing
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments form Partners and financial Management monitoring for project partners; preparation of all types of financial documentation for site office for onward submission to UN Women CO;
Ensures effective programme financial planning & Reporting:
- Assist to Prepare all financial components of annual work plans related to site office and associated project documents;
- Ensures support to programme procurement of goods and services, including ensuring gender mainstreaming:
- Support the procurement of all goods and services including as per site requirement and all travel;
- Support the management of all procurement contracts for partners, including payments;
- Support the development of the annual procurement plans for site office;
- Support the purchase, recording and registration, and disposal of all assets of site office.
- Undertake continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation and identify any potential financial issues with solutions to address them;
- Maintain all records and electronic filing associated with financial operations.
- Prepare regularly financial information to report to Co operations team, including to Project Manager (WPS) and
- Prepare summary reports containing analysis of the financial situation of partners on site
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment .
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in Teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to perform a broad range of financial and administrative activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the UN Women site office, including data/schedule management, maintenance of protocol and information flow;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to establish, builds and sustains effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Good drafting skills.
- Ability to administer financial processes and transactions.
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
How to Apply
Click here to apply
Deadline 10th February, 2017.