Kwararafa University Wukari (KUW), founded In 2005, is a community owned and promoted Institution of higher learning licensed by the National Universities Commission. It offers 15 programmes at the Undergraduate level and operates three (3) Colleges, namely, Social and
Management Sciences, Natural and Applied Sciences and Education. All the programmes are accredited by the National Universities Commission. It also has two (2) Centres and a Post-Graduate School Is being planned.
The University has a current staff of about 200 and a student population of approximately 1,100. It aims at being one of the leading tertiary education providers and a research-led University which responds to the developmental needs of the community.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Wukari, TarabaJob Description
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief academic and Administrative Officer of the University and has general responsibility to the Governing Council for maintaining and promoting the good order and efficiency of the University.
Qualifications and Qualities of the Candidate
Candidates for the post of Vice-Chancellor are expected to:
- Be holders of a Ph.D and be full Professors, with a minimum of 5 years post-professorial experience, with a distinguished track record as an academic and researcher, with a demonstrated ability to provide exemplary academic leadership, proven management experience in a tertiary education Institution, and a track record of strong leadership with proven team-working skills;
- Nave a strong operational mindset that ensures the successful delivery of goals, demonstrates decisiveness, good Judgment commercial sense and ensure excellent organizational leadership;
- Possess the capacity ensure optimum utilization of scarce resources;
- Advice Council and work with the Senior Management Team In the development of realistic and affordable strategic Initiatives and Implementation of strategic priorities;
- Inspire confidence, be of exemplary credibility and command the respect and admiration of staff and students in matters of personal work ethics
- Possess high moral standards, proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, accountability, openness, transparency and probity’
- Nave strong commitment to values of merit, consistency and fairness as operating principles;
- Show ability to motivate and lead academic and non-academic staff as well as students to work together for the advancement of the University;
- Show excellent skills at managing conflicts in human relations within the work environment; enable, empower and delegate, without abdicating overall responsibility, in order to motivate and utilize the talents of everyone within the University;
- Be able to work as a team leader to raise the ranking of the University both regionally and Internationally;
- Devise successful strategies to reduce dependence on tuition feesand to ensure financial viability and sustainability ot the University; show evidence of able to raise financial resources,
- Have adequate knowledge and awareness of the roles and responsibilities of an Accounting Officer of a private/government-funded institution as specified in the Financial Management Manuals.
- Be an excellent ambassador of the University with proven negotiating skills and the ability to influence decisions that would impact the University positively;
- Be alert and receptive to new trends In education and technology and their Implications for the delivery of learning;promote research and innovation for measurable socio-economic development;boost academic standards and target the highest quality in programmes and materials that offer good value for students and the community;
- Candidates should not have attained the age of 60 years by the closing date of applications, i.e. Monday 8th May, 2017.
- The Vice-Chancelior shall serve for one term of 5 years.
Conditions of Service, Allowances and Benefits Applicable
- The post carries a consolidated salary, together with approved extra remuneration and other benefits, as approved by the
- Governing Council and Board of Trustees.
- Shortlisted candidates will have to present and defend their vision to a joint Council and Senate Committee.
- The envelopes should be clearly marked “VC Post” on the top left corner
- Failure fo provide any of the above documents will automatically disqualify the applicant.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Fifteen (15) hard copies of their applications (application letters and all supporting documents duly signed and scanned through) under confidential cover to:The Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council,
KM 5, Wukari Jalingo Road,
Taraba State.The application should include the following:
- A letter of motivation
- Detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae, signed and dated by the candidate (15 copies)
- A written proposal, not exceeding 2000 words, about their vision for a competitive Kwararafa University in the 21st century.
- Name and addresses of three (3) referees; the referees should be requested by the candidate to forward their referees’ reports directly to the “Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Kwararafa University” under confidential cover. Referees should attest the candidate’s high academic standard (where applicable), managerial capacity and moral uprightness
- Certified copies of their birth and educational certificates
- Certified copy of either their National Identity Card or the first and second pages of their International passport
Deadline: 8th May, 2017.