The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading pan-African reinsurance company and the largest re-insurer in Africa and the Middle East in terms of net reinsurance written premiums. Headquartered in Lagos (Nigeria) with diplomatic status in its current 41 African member countries,
Africa Re operates through six (6) Regional Offices across Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager – Underwriting – (Aviation & Special Risks)
Job Type: Full Time
- The successful candidate will manage the business relationship with the African Aviation Pool Members in order to achieve profitability, liquidity, business growth and customer satisfaction on a sustainable basis.
- The candidate would also be responsible for providing technical support to Africa-Re production centers on Aviation & special risk class of insurance business.
- Preparing renewal and new business quotation proposals to cedants and brokers.
- Negotiation and renewal of contracts (Facultative and Treaties ).
- Providing support to production centres on Aviation & special risk class of business.
- Reviewing facultative acceptances regularly ahead of renewal and reviewing treaty acceptances annually ahead of renewal.
- Soliciting and receiving treaty offers from existing and potential clients, assessing such offers when received and determining whether or not to accept them in line with the Corporation’s underwriting policies/guidelines.
- Paying market visits regularly for new businesses and for the renewal of existing business as well as for obtaining market statistics and other relevant information for the Corporation’s strategic and operational use.
- Assist in reviewing and monitoring the proper processing of all technical transactions.
- Reviewing all claims and other claims supporting documentation, and ensuring proper processing and timely settlement of verified cash calls.
- Carrying out risk surveys and give risk improvement recommendations.
- Providing training, advice and other forms of technical support to both staff and clients on a regular basis.
- Assisting Finance & Technical accounts in reviewing the reconciliation of cedant and broker accounts and chasing outstanding amounts due from them while also ensuring timely remittance of amounts due to them.
- Maintaining proper records of all business offers and transactions received and concluded.
- Attending to client correspondences, social and business function and other related activities for overall marketing effectiveness.
- Ensuring that all the treaties and facultative contracts are processed and the cover notes signed and sent out to cedants or brokers.
- Monitoring the profitability of markets serviced and monitoring progress towards the achievement of income targets in the assigned markets.
- Monitoring premium and claims payments.
- Training(Internal & External).
- Attending to any other duties as may be assigned by the Corporation’s management from time to time.
Main Competencies Required
- Advanced technical knowledge of Aviation Insurance (underwriting and claims handling).
- Good knowledge of other classes of insurance, reinsurance and retrocession.
- Good communication and training skills.
- Ability to train cedants and subordinate.
- Very good planning and reporting skills.
- Capacity for analyzing, synthesizing and reasoning.
- Good supervisory skills.
- Very good technical knowledge and professional proficiency, particularly with regard to Insurance and Reinsurance underwriting, Retrocession, Claims as well as risk assessment.
- Ability to quickly build very good and sustainable relationship with cedants and other stakeholders.
- Strong exposure to/experience of Aviation.
- High Integrity and good sense of responsibility.
- Ability to work under pressure in a very busy environment.
- Very good skills in business software: Microsoft office packages and other business applications.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
Applicants shall be holders of:
- First University degree plus Masters in relevant fields plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing ; claims management, risk survey and assessment.
- First University degree in relevant fields plus full professional qualification, plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing; claims management, risk survey and assessment.
- First University degree in relevant field plus 9 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing; claims management, risk survey and assessment.
- Relevant work experience on the Aviation desk of an Insurance/Reinsurance company would be an added advantage.
Applicants must also be:
- Fluent in English language.
- Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Candidates must not be more than 45 years old.
Salary and Benefits
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
- Competitive Basic Salary on the Corporation’s Grade Level PS 2.
- Variable pay ( Annual Performance Bonus).
- Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer).
- Home leave to country of origin every one (1) year paid by the employer – if Non- Nigerian National;
- Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children).
- Duty Post Differential (Cost of Living Allowance), that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation, paid in local currency.
- Housing Allowance.
- Medical cover for staff and family.
- Exemption from taxes and duties (diplomatic status of an international civil servant), – if Non- Nigerian National.
How to Apply
Click here to apply
Deadline: 5th May, 2017.