Head of Sub-Office, North East Vacancy at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Head of Sub-Office, North East
Job ID: 9792
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family
Languages: Required: English
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Strategic programme planning, coordination and implementation
- Management of the Sub-Office
- Representation and Coordination
- Management of communication flow
- Partnership building and donor liaison
Ensures strategic programme planning, coordination and implementation in North-East Nigeria, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analyses the emergency, socio-economic and political situation and trends in North-Eastern Nigeria and identifies opportunities and entry points for UNDP.
- Manages the consolidation of UNDP’s regional programme development and implementation in the framework of comprehensive area-based programming and guided by the needs of effective implementation of the nexus between humanitarian, development and peace-building interventions.
- Ensures overall efficient coordination of programmes/projects including planning processes and timely delivery of results with the Country Office
- Ensures identification and promotion of joint programming and planning opportunities
- Supports capacity building of national counterparts.
- Oversees project implementation through close monitoring of results. Ensures effective application of RBM tools, management of scorecard targets and other benchmarks.
- Coordinates and follows through on decentralized local evaluations.
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
Responsible for effective office management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures smooth running of the Sub-Office, builds an effective SO team, and promotes team work and an environment that is conducive to delivering results.
- Ensures full responsibility for the appropriate use and management of resources attributed to the Sub-Office by tracking use of financial resources, ensuring the integrity of financial systems and consistent application of the Internal Control Framework and/or rules and regulations.
- Has Atlas manager rights as delegated. Responsible for the management of the Sub-Office staff, monitors their performance, completing performance assessments where necessary.
- Ensures timely and regular reporting.
- Oversees the effective efficient and compliant management of all operational processes including financial transactions, procurement & logistics, and administrative services.
- Under the supervision of the Country Director ensures enforcement of security procedures and MOSS/MORSS requirements in the Sub-Office.
- Mitigates possible risks and impacts associated with the Sub-Office operations (e.g. logistical and security)
- Ensures full compliance with audit requirements and timely follow-up to audit recommendations.
Responsible for representation and coordination in the area focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Represents UNDP vis-à-vis the local authorities of Borno and in relevant cluster coordination meetings and development partners at the local level.
- Ensures proper coordination and inputs to interagency initiatives at the local level.
Promotes communication flow in the Sub-Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures internal communication and coordination at SO level and effective and proactive communication between relevant CO units (both programme and operations units) and the SO.
- Monitors the perception of UNDP at the local level and suggests media activities that positions UNDP more strategically and effectively as a neutral broker for local development.
- Enhances local visibility for UNDP in development effectiveness
- Ensures that local development results are effectively communicated in collaboration with Communication Office in the Country Office.
Fosters partnership building and donor liaison focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributes to the development of the CO Partnership and Resource Mobilization (PRM) strategy, including planning tools to implement the strategy.
- Identifies new partnerships and strengthens existing ones at the SO level through innovative approaches to partnership development.
- Encourages ways of increasing Sub-Office funding base such as engaging in resource mobilization efforts in consultation with local counterparts and following-up with donors on local opportunities.
Impact of Results:
- The results of the Head of the Sub-Office in Maiduguri impacts on the standing and reputation of UNDP in the North East.
- When requested by the Country Director, the Head of Sub-Office represents UNDP in international and national forums, liaises with external clients and a broad range of constituencies and UNDP counterparts in the Government, local and international media, civil society as well as counterparts from other international organizations.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Influencing the public policy agenda
- Dialogues with national counterparts and other stakeholders to strengthen advocacy efforts, incorporating country, regional and global perspectives
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Achieving results through programme design and innovative resourcing strategies
- Ensures the full implementation of country programme and Financial Resources to obtain results
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Building strategic alliances
- Makes effective use of UNDP’s resources and comparative advantage to strengthen partnerships
- Creates networks and promotes initiatives with partner organizations
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Fostering innovation in others
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Conceptualizes more effective approaches to programme development and implementation and to mobilizing and using resources
- Developing resource mobilization strategies at country level
- Contributes to the development of resource mobilization strategies at SO level
- Actively develops partnerships with potential donors and government counterparts in all sectors at country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Participating in the development of policies and innovative approaches and promoting their application throughout the organization
- Promotes UNDP as a learning/knowledge sharing organization
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Expert knowledge of own discipline
- Possesses expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, a broad knowledge of related disciplines, as well as an in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures
- For managers: applies a broad knowledge of best management practices; defines objectives and work flows, positions reporting relationships in such a way as to obtain optimum effectiveness for the unit/branch
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself personally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of the current programme guidelines and project management tools and manages the use of these regularly in work assignments
- Meeting long-term client needs
- Anticipates constraints in the delivery of services and identifies solutions or alternatives
- Proactively identifies, develops and discusses solutions for internal and external clients, and persuades management to undertake new projects or services
- Advises and develops strategic and operational solutions with clients that add value to UNDP programmes and operations
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other relevant development areas.
- 10 years of relevant experience in development programme management, especially post-conflict and emergency contexts, in a governmental, multilateral organization in a multi-cultural setting
- 3 to 5 years of senior-level management responsibilities of similar size and complexities.
- Programme management experience within UNDP, and knowledge of UNDP programme and operations rules and regulations is a requirement.
- Knowledge of post-crisis and early recovery programming constitutes an important advantage.
- Strong written and spoken skills of the UN working language of the duty station. A second UN language desirable.
How to Apply