The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading pan-African reinsurance company and the largest re-insurer in Africa and the Middle East in terms of net reinsurance written premiums. Headquartered in Lagos (Nigeria) with diplomatic status in its current 41 African member countries,
Africa Re operates through six (6) Regional Offices across Africa: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Port Louis (Mauritius) and one (1) Contact Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia). It has also two (2) Subsidiary Companies (Africa Re South Africa Limited and Africa Retakaful) in Johannesburg (South Africa) and in Cairo (Egypt).
Africa Re has a broad-based shareholding of 41 African member States; the African Development Bank; 111 African insurance and reinsurance companies; and four (4) non regional shareholders, including leading global insurers, reinsurers and international finance institutions.
The Financial Strength and Credit Rating of Africa Re is A (Stable) by A.M. Best Company (since 2016) and A – (Stable) Standard & Poor’s (since 2009). Africa-Re announces the vacancy for two (2) Medical Consultants (One English Speaking and One French speaking) for her Life Unit.
Job Title: Medical Consultants – 2 positions
The Medical Consultants will act as a technical professional in reviewing applications for individual Life and Health Insurance and to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk in order to determine acceptability, coverage and pricing.
- The duties of the Medical Consultant shall comprise amongst others:
- Act as medical consultant on underwriting and claim cases for all the regional offices.
- Interpretation of medical information and recommendations for underwriting and claims
- Providing expert advices on medical documentation to the insurer
- Provide medical training for Life Underwriters
- To participate in the company’s trainings and seminars on medical underwriting and claims administration for clients
- Review and make recommendations for all critical Illness and Disability claims
- Regularly review medical Underwriting requirements provided in Life treaties for each region.
- Liaising with medical examiners and medical attendants to ensure that relevant medical tests are conducted
Research & Product Development
- Conduct evidence based reviews on medical topics to support product development, product pricing and underwriting technics
- Constantly reviewing Africa Re’s medical Underwriting manual based on developments in medical science
- Keeping the insurer abreast of major medical advances, including those in genetic science
- Work with Actuaries in pricing for unfamiliar territories advising main causes of death, disability and Critical illnesses
- Review and maintain medical underwriting software
- Carry out research on medical conditions common among Life Insurance Applicants and rating methods to apply
- Set underwriting grids for different products.
MAIN COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- In-depth Knowledge of Health Insurance Laws and Regulations;
- Understanding of Medical Coding;
- Knowledge of Insurance and reinsurance;
- Demonstrated management, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Very Good reporting skills, Self-assured and results oriented;
- Ability to work collaboratively internally and externally;
- Ability to communicate, influence and quickly build effective relationships with stakeholders;
- Strategic, innovative and intuitive thinker – able to adapt and tailor communications to appropriate audiences.
- Proven written communication skills to develop training plans, policies, procedures, and reports;
- Proven high level of professionalism, maturity and candour in daily work ethic;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure including the ability to achieve outcomes, prioritise work and meet deadlines;
- Ability to solve problems and execute on initiatives;
- Computer literate, with excellent skills in Microsoft Office package;
QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Applicants shall be holders of Bachelor degree in Medicine/Surgery (MBBS) plus at least 9 years professional post-residency experience in direct patient care.
- Relevant work experience in Insurance/Reinsurance Organizations would be an added advantage
- Additionalprofessional/postgraduate qualifications in medicine would be an added advantage.
Applicants must also be:
- Registered with a Medical Board or have an unrestricted license to practice Medicine.
- Fluent in English or French language
- Basic knowledge of French or English will be an added advantage.
- We offer competitive Consultancy Fee.
- The successful candidates shall be based in Nairobi (Kenya) or Lagos (Nigeria) for the English Speaking Medical Consultant, and Abidjan (Cote d’Ivoire) or Casablanca (Morocco) for the French Speaking.
How to Apply
Click here to apply
Deadline: 19th June, 2017