COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant postion below:
Job Title: Assistant Project Manager
Locations: Yobe and Abuja
Type of contract: Fixed Term Contract
Duration: 6 months renewable
Starting date: ASAP
Context and background
- Since the declaration of state of emergency in the Nigerian federal States of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa, the escalation of the Boko Haram insurgency has led to multiple displacement crises, with communities fleeing their area of origin to take refuge in camps or host communities.
- In 2014 there was a substantial increase in violence related to Boko Haram and the counter insurgency operations, consequently creating acute and largely unmet humanitarian needs, as IDPs are cut off from their homes and livelihoods, basic services, kinship and social ties.
- COOPI is currently operating in 7 LGAs in Yobe State, reaching about 25,000 individuals among IDPs and host communities with a multi-sectoral intervention covering nutrition, food security and child protection.
- COOPI has recently developed a cash & voucher based response system in Nigeria to address the food insecure communities while integrating this approach with a nutrition component – community outreach, referral system, IYCF campaign and appropriate therapeutic services addressed to malnourished children and pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- In September 2014, COOPI began operating in north eastern Nigeria in response to the humanitarian crisis caused by the insurgency, established its operation in Bauchi State and later expanded to Yobe State considering the heightened presence of IDPs in the LGAs of Fika, Damaturu, Potiskum, Geidam and Yunusari.
- Recently, COOPI initiated a Food Security and Nutrition intervention in Kaga LGA (Borno State) and a presence in Maiduguri to launch an Education and Protection projects.
- Given the unfolding large scale emergency in the north eastern Nigeria, COOPI plans to scale up its current operations in Yobe state and reach newly accessible areas, in addition to areas receiving Nigerian returnees from Niger, with its multi-sectoral services including food security, cash transfer programming, nutrition and protection.
- The Project Assistant will provide technical and grant management support to the implementation of a Food Security Programme in Yobe State. Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager and in coordination with the Head of Mission, the Project Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- In cooperation with the project staff and under the supervision of the Program Manager, he/she plans and monitors the activities’ progress, in compliance with the contract signed with the donor and with COOPI’s policies and procedures.
- She/he supports the implementation of baseline survey and data entry, and assist in design of project activities in line with agreed workplan.
- Supporting the Programme Manager and liaise with COOPI Technical focal point during the preparation of interim and final narrative report. Keep records of activities, and report regularly as requested on programme progress and ensure that output data and reports are shared with the supervisor timely.
- Whenever relevant, attend donor and partners meetings/visits, record and disseminate the information shared.
- Provide support in the review of donor contracts to the Programme Manager during contract execution
- Upon request by his/her direct supervisor, he/she elaborates, writes and prepares all necessary documents to present new projects, in accordance with the organization’s processes, procedures and policies.
- Assist the country coordination team during representation activities as necessary.
- Regularly review COOPI Food Security and Nutrition technical briefs, guidelines and internal processes and their adequacy to donors’ compliance requirements
- Any other duties and tasks assigned by supervisor.
- 1 year experience in the humanitarian field as project assistant or in a similar position;
- Good Knowledge of main donor regulations and priorities. Knowledge of COOPI’s procedures and policies is an asset;
- Experience developing communication materials;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Strong knowledge of project cycle management;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Note: Please send CV and cover letter with 3 references.
Application Deadline: 7th August, 2017.