Helen Keller International (HKI), established in 1915, works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: NTD Program Officer
HKI is part of a consortium led by Sightsavers, on behalf of the International Coalition for Trachoma Control (ICTC), in response to The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust’s (QEDJT) invitation to scale up trachoma interventions in a number of selected countries in the Commonwealth and contribute towards the global elimination goal of blinding trachoma by 2020. In Nigeria, Katsina State is the focal state for implementation of the project, which intends to carry out 15,700 trichiasis surgeries over 5 years.
- Under the supervision of the NTDs Program Manager and the State Lead, the program officer oversees the formulation, execution, monitoring and of the Queen Elizabeth
- Reports directly to: State Project Coordinator
- Diamond Jubilee Trust funded Trichiasis Surgery project (QEDJTF) in Katsina state to ensure consistency with the project priorities and outcomes.
Specific duties include:
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of a detailed work-plan which identifies and sequences activities needed to successfully implement the project
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, facilitate the development and roll out of partner specific action and implementation plans to scale up trichiasis surgery.
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise and regularly review the schedule as required.
- in the most cost-effective manner and ensure project objectives are met in line with national policies, HKI’s goals and donors;
- In collaboration with the Program Manager ensure HKI program partners execute the project according to their respective project plans;
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project;
- Retire project funds alongside Finance and Admin Assistant according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Document project activities and ensure that all project information is appropriately secured;
- Monitor the progress of the project implementation and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the project remains on track and is successfully completed;
Program Monitoring & Evaluation:
- To implement and/or develop Monitoring and Evaluation tools according HKI, FMOH and donor standards in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist.
- Disseminate findings from evaluations to support organizational learning and contribute to policy processing or development;
- Draft and share success stories using the standard operating procedures in the course of monitoring in order to improve project visibility
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of international standards as set by FMOH, HKI and donor.
- Internally and when requested support external evaluations on the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase and as required.
Advocacy and Strategic Alliances:
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with both government and key project stakeholders at all levels in order to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility;
- Represent HKI towards local partners and at other appropriate forums; Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the Country Director and NTD Program Manager.
- A first degree in Biological Sciences or similar field; Medicine or Health related field.
- Master degree in public health or a related degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in public health.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
- Exhibit strong leadership and decision making skills
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically forwarding the following under listed to: firstname.lastname@example.org the subject of email should be “NTD Program Officer” both CV and cover letter should be saved with the applicant’s name e.g. John Smith CV and John Smith Cover letter.
- A curriculum vitae, which should indicate at minimum applicant’s qualification and dates obtained;
- Previous work experience and dates;
- Age and referees
- A cover letter
- Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered.
- Only applications submitted electronically will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 2nd August, 2017.