Deputy Safety Advisor Vacancy at the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO)
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Safety Advisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The DSA will deputize the Safety Advisors (SA) for most of his/her tasks.
- He/she will be involved in the drafting of high quality safety analytical reports, supporting the delivery of NGO request services and supporting the SA in the management of Field Monitors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Journalism, Mass Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma
- Outstanding command of written and spoken English
- Excellent research and analytical abilities
- Strong knowledge of the North-Eastern Region and Northern Nigeria
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with key safety interlocutors
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office packages and use of social media
- Nigerian nationality
- Masters/PhD level on any of the abovementioned fields
- 2 or more years of work experience with NGOs, including a good understanding of NGO approaches to safety. Previous military/police experience is a plus
- Deep understanding of the Nigerian safety environment and its historical context
- Deep understanding of humanitarian principles
- Data-entry and database experience
- Fluent conversational level of at least one of the following languages: Hausa, Kanuri or other local languages relevant to North Easter Nigeria
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of engagement
- Staff management experience
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent planner
- Ability to Prioritize and work with less supervision
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Provide NGOs with credible information and contextual analysis of the local and regional safety situation.
- Write reports and update other written products on a frequent basis
- Assist in the delivery of other request INSO Services
- Information and Database Management
- Efficiently manage the team of Field Monitors and information provided by them
- Support the SA in the management of the Maiduguri office
- Present briefings and represent INSO in meetings
- Adhere to INSO safety policies and procedures
- Adopt professional conduct and positive attitude
Terms & Conditions
12-month contract with expected start date of (1st February 2018), 2 paid annual leave days/month accrued, health and life insurance.
Deadline: 10th January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the following to: email@example.com and ensure to reference ‘INSO – Deputy Safety Advisor- Maiduguri in the subject line of the email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
- Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
- One writing sample of analytical previously undertaken
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
- Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.