Procurement Officer – Nigeria at Christian Aid (CA)
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Senior Procurement & Commodity Logistics Coordinator
Expected travel per annum Up to 30 days
- The Procurement Officer will work closely with the Senior Procurement & Commodity Logistics Coordinator to ensure effective procurement processes in the Humanitarian Response.
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s response to the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria with special focus on procurements.
- She/he will support Christian Aid’s procurements across funded programmes which are implemented by Christian Aid and her partners in Borno and other states in the north east.
- The role holder will assist in the implementation and documentation of all procurement processes. She/he will work closely with programme leads to ensure that procurements on each project are done in a timely manner.
- She/he will ensure transparent vendor engagements in line with Christian Aid’s procurement guidelines and ensure that value for money is achieved with every transaction.
- Based in Maiduguri, the role is part of the Procurement and Logistics program family and the wider Nigeria country team.
- The role is key in supporting and implementing the procurement guidelines and ensuring that procurement processes are well documented and in line with donor requirements.
- The role plays a key role in vendor and contractor engagements and ensures that all contractual processes are adhered to.
- Ensure that all procurement processes are properly documented and that engagement of contractors and vendors are in line with Christian Aid’s procurement guidelines.
- Track status of procurement requests and provide updates through procurement request status reports.
- Maintain a Vendor List with updated information on different categories of goods and services and performance ranking based on recent post-delivery evaluations.
- Support tendering processes, opening of bids and selection of qualified contractors/ vendors. Ensure the contractual processes are in line with Christian Aid’s contractual guidelines.
- Work closely with the Senior Procurement & Logistics Coordinator and Project Leads to have up to date procurement reports across all projects.
- External Build – strong relationships with partners, vendors, contractors, donors and stakeholders as may be required.
- Internal Build – strong relationship with staff in the humanitarian response and country office especially the BSU and finance teams.
- Work on complex specialist/ technical issues.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
- Make decisions in order to support team effectively, from definition of product specification to product delivery in addition to day to day management of vendors.
- Also providing technical input on all procurement and logistics issues.
- Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas.
- Make suggestions around project proposals, so they are prepared and comply with reporting requirements. Contribute to shaping and implementing logistics and procurement strategy, making sound decisions to support this.
Developing Self and Others:
- Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and have direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating new and existing staff on procurement processes.
- B.A/B.Sc. Degree in Supply and Purchasing Management or related field such as (Logistics or Administration), from recognized institution
- At least 3 years relevant procurement experience is essential.
- Membership of a professional purchasing organization preferred.
- Proven ability to prepare reports and maintain complete files and records.
- High level of computer literacy (Word and Excel essential)
- Ability to prioritize within a multi- tasking environment
- Prior experience in a similar role in an NGO is an added advantage
- Familiar with procurement and logistics context in the northeast Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language.
IT Competency Required:
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Supportively manage teams or lead on projects, involving others in discussing how to take work forwards, helping people feel part of the team and treating everyone equally.
- Influence others to develop shared understanding and work cooperatively and collaboratively towards common goals where there are different personal or organizational agendas.
- Develop and maintain new relationships with individuals and organizations to further Christian Aid’s aims.
- Recognize and value differences in people; be ready to challenge assumptions, beliefs or attitudes in self or others.
- Manage expectations and adhere to what’s agreed, by doing what you say you’re going to do.
- Reflect the needs of different audiences, adapting style, media, timing and pace to communicate most effectively.
- Show an understanding of how personal and external factors impact on others’ communication style and needs and seek to manage these differences to ensure that all voices are heard.
- Clarify expectations and anticipate interests and potential issues of others, in order to help them get involved in debate and dialogue.
- Accept accountability internally and externally for the effective use of Christian Aid resources.
- Look for ways to achieve more effective outcomes by using existing resources in a new or different way, before using or commissioning new resources.
- Ensure results of self and others are achieved to quality and time by managing allocated resources and workloads.
- Create plans with key milestones and measurable outcomes: track progress and adjust to meet the objectives, ensuring others are aware of changes and reasons for them.
- Ensure individuals/teams understand and agree to work to the overall goals, specific objectives and quality standards.
- Make recommendations or decisions in the best interest of Christian Aid, involving others as needed whether in and beyond own work area.
- Be willing to take action or make recommendations or decisions in difficult or ambiguous situations.
- Commit to your decisions and be accountable for them.
- Show willingness to adapt if your initial decision did not produce the expected result.
- Demonstrate continuing commitment to your own
Professional and Personal Development:
- Utilize coaching and mentoring skills in order to support others to develop.
- Encourage others to give their best by discussing goals and aspirations and recognize achievement.
- Provide an appropriate level of supervision according to need; know when to provide help and when to give others enough space to learn.
- Give constructive and timely feedback to others on difficult or contentious issues.
- Deal with poor performance directly and sensitively, seeking appropriate and timely advice and support if needed.
Strive for Improvement:
- Be open to radical suggestions to avoid closing down options too early.
- Evaluate benefits and risks of new ways of working or ideas, and identify ways to reduce risk.
- Find and implement ways to better support internal knowledge and information sharing.
- Coach others on dealing with resistance to change.
- Seek and evaluate a range of viewpoints, whether internal or external, about how Christian Aid could do things better, regardless of whose ideas they are and what role they have.
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change.
- Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.