African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative and Budget Officer (PCER0)
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50076307
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including:
- Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Divison
- The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
The objective of Administrative and Budget Officer is to provide operational and technical support to the Director and the Department on day-to-day administrative, financial and operational activities pertinent to the smooth running of the Department; and Assists the Director in monitoring the execution of PCER’s work program.
The position of Budget and Administrative Officer plays an important role in the realization of the objectives of the department, in the sense that it supports the Director in managing efficiently the budget and administrative issues of the Department.
The objectives of the position are:
- Contribute to the implementation of the Bank’s communication strategy through efficient management and utilization of the department’s budget;
- Contribute to the achievement of the Department’s annual work program through an optimal allocation of resources;
- Present a professional image of the Bank to the outside world by dealing as quickly as possible with the demands of the suppliers;
- Participate in the identification of human resources and equipment required for the operation of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Administrative and Budget Officer has the following responsibilities:
The key duties and responsibilities of Administrative and Budget Officer are:
- Budget & work program – leads the three-yearly rolling budget exercise for PCER to ensure timely input in the annual strategic program planning and budgeting and the budget controlling process within PCER
- Advise on priorities for budget re-allocation of resources during mid-year reviews or as may be required;
- Coordinate budget reports (CFP/Quarterly reports) others ad hoc reports) and data gathering (ATRS, WBS, KPIs) for implementation of the Cost Accounting System (CAS);
- Contribute to the improvement of budget processes and procedures;
- Contribute to the reviews & participate in meetings with SNPB for budget processes and institutional governance management;
- Monitors appropriate application of budget rules and procedures and the Financial Regulations of the Bank;
- Monitor appropriate budget utilization in the department. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary, and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility and in consultation with the Director;
- Participate in the preparation and submission of the work program of the department:
- Prepare a plan for monitoring activities related to the budget and administrative affairs;
- Management of the CARD (purchase by credit card): controlling the purchases made on the card by the custodian, reviewing and approving all expense / credit statements, and to ensure analysis of expenditure – management control – reconciliation of purchases and cash outflows, etc;
- Reconcile General Ledger, consultants Accounts receivable to ensure that balances are conform and accurate for clearing.
- Work with section heads to implement the plan;
- Conduct analytical work on processes and procedures for a better understanding and improvement;
- Coordinate the recruitment of consultants/consulting firms in accordance with the Bank’s rules and procedures and follow on payment of fees for services rendered;
- Prepare work programmes of the team, prepare budgets estimates for procurement of service contracts required by the Bank; report on budget utilization and programme progress
- Develop and implement procedures for contract management, contract performance and contract administration.
- Provide contract management support to the Department:
- Ensures timely follow-up and review of supplier performance evaluation,
- Ensures suppliers meet the Bank’s mandatory contractual requirements for the duration of the contract.
Human Resource Management:
- Serves as CHHR administrative focal point for recruitment issues, training and development, performance evaluation, job design, motivation, counselling, disciplining, salary administration, with CHHR and SNPB; perform and update staff planning requirements; ensure respect of recruitment rules, procedures and regulations in recruitment processes; coordinate PCER’s annual training plan.
- Manage the recruitment of short-term staff for the department.
- Provide support on optimizing proper records management, information storage and retrieval in PCER;
- Address in coordination with CIMM issues pertaining to the SAP system and other IT systems used by PCER in implementing its work program;
- Prepare special reports, statistics and forecasts and carry on other assignments as required
- Collaborate with Human Resources team to develop tailored made tools to address unsatisfactory Performance.
- Represent PCER in coordination meeting with other departments for administrative and financial issues of common interest within the scope of activities;
- Keep in alignment the communication policy with the business needs
- Undertake such other assignments as requested by the Director.
- Coordinate the special file of the invited media and the press at the Annual meetings;
- Cross-functional working with other business areas to deliver savings and drive communication strategy
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- Problem solving skill
- Client Orientation
- Operational effectiveness
- Team working and relations
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, coordination and communication skills
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience
- Behavioural Competencies (tick the behavioral competencies applicable to the role) :
- Ability to communicate comfortably with people.
- Sound knowledge of the Bank’s budget preparation process, procedures and system.
- Strong analytical skills to strategic vision, as well as ability to pay attention to details and work under pressure
- Bilingual in English and French (reading, writing and speaking) Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (SAP, SRAS, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Integrity and ability to work under pressure and to deliver timely quality services.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and promote process improvement
- Ability to handle speedily and efficiently internal and external requests.
- Good understanding of the Bank’s operations and the operational priorities;
- Excellent business writing and data analytical skills.
- Sound understanding of the Bank’s human resources procedures and practice
- Ability to work accurately, methodically and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to assess problems and develop realistic solutions quickly; proven ability to adopt a multidisciplinary approach to issues.
- Demonstrated mature sense of judgment.
Application Deadline 22nd January, 2018.