National Education Consultant (EMIS Officer) at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Education Consultant (EMIS Officer)
Job Number: 510250 | Vacancy Link
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
The purpose of this consultancy is to strengthen and ensure the effective development and deployment of effective and sustainable Education Management Information System towards the establishment of functional EMIS across UNICEF supported States Bauchi, Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara, Gombe, Taraba, Kebbi, Ebonyi and Oyo according to UNICEF State work plan and monitoring and evaluation framework, contributing to support state level evidence-based planning and tracking the progress achieved through the implementation of education programmes. UNICEF activities are implemented in close partnership with government education agencies and civil social partners.
The consultant will report to the UNICEF Education Specialist based in Katsina Field office under the guidance of the Education Specialist M&E based in Abuja. The consultant will work collaboratively with all UNICEF Education officers and Specialists and GEP3 state consultants coordinating activities, analyzing operating environment, sharing lesson learnt and progress, maximizing synergy between activities towards key result areas.
The UNICEF Country Office, Nigeria is implementing several education projects and programmes which aims at contributing in reducing the number of out-of-school population and improving equitable access to quality learning opportunities. With a total of 10.5 million children out of school, Nigeria accounts for almost one in five of all school age children living in extreme educational poverty worldwide Basic Education programme is managed by UNICEF and implemented in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Education, Universal Basic Education Commission at the national level and with the state ministries of education and State Universal Basic Education Board of target states and other implementing partners (IPs).
Scope /Focus of the assignment Areas of focus
The assignment will entail the consultant to effectively ensure the development and the deployment of effective and sustainable Education Management Information System in the respective UNICEF focus state (Bauchi, Katsina, Sokoto, Zamfara, Gombe, Taraba, Kebbi, Ebonyi and Oyo) according to UNICEF State work plan and monitoring and evaluation framework, contributing to support state level evidence-based planning and tracking the progress achieved through the implementation of education programmes.
Under the management supervision of the Field Education Specialist and guidance of the Education Specialist M&E, the EMIS Officer shall carry out the following task in fulfilling the expectations of this post:
- Technical support in testing, deploying and maintaining UNESCO Institute for Statistics EMIS software customized to Nigeria’s context in the respective UNICEF supported state where no M&E consultant is posted.
- Provide advice and expertise to address EMIS troubleshoots in collaboration with both UNICEF M&E specialist and UNICEF EMIS expert consultant
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records/database on UNICEF education programme implementation across the three output areas in state and ensure effective and timely information reporting as required
- Conduct quality assurance activities to ensure quality of the implementation of interventions; under the guidance of the Education Specialist M&E
- Work closely with SUBEB and MOE EMIS officials to ensure timely completion (based on agreed timeframe) of Annual School Census data collection, processing, data cleaning, data merging, analysis, standard statistics reports generation and dissemination of gender disaggregated results;
- Liaise with MOE and SUBEB EMIS officials to provide technical support to strengthen capacity of EMIS staff at the LGEA level;
- In coordination with State Output Leads and national Education Specialist M&E IQS monitor and support IQS integration into ASC processes
- Facilitate institutionalization of systems for effective and accurate data collection and analysis;
- Document lessons learnt and best practice, producing monthly stories on GEP3 implementation.
- Monthly work plan detailing how key task will conducted with respect to EMIS/ASC and constant use of education data to support evidence-based planning (due on 25th of the month).
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- University degree or its equivalent in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer science.
- At least 3 years of experience and demonstrated ability in data collection and monitoring, statistics
- Demonstrated skilled in the use of data analysis packages (Excel, SPSS, and Access)
- Strong analytical skills using diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience working on gender issues
- Extensive knowledge and skills of education and social sectors in Nigeria, in northern Nigeria will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares technical knowledge.
- Good understanding of girls’ education issues, community involvement and a participation
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, to varied audiences,
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Fluency in English language and writing skills. Fluency in language of the immediate environment.
Deadline: 31st January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.