FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nutrition
Location: Banki, Borno
Position is responsible for quality nutrition services at community and facility levels including nutrition rehabilitation among admitted cases through treatment of clinical complications of severe acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of therapeutic feeds, routine and specialized medicines, health and nutrition counseling, and capacity building and technical support to the FHI360 and pediatric Unit in the management of complications associated with severe acute malnutrition
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelors of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Nursing or closely related field with 1-3 years’ experience in CMAM/SC preferably in the NGO sector
- Must be a registered Nurse or Nutritionist Experience working with a humanitarian organization
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working in clinical setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support effective management of clinical and other ailments at Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP):
- Management of severe acute malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation and provision of therapeutic food, routine drugs, health and nutrition education and capacity building and technical support in the management of severe acute malnutrition.
- Plan and organize OTP at designated distribution sites in liaison with TO, Health & Nutrition services.
- Work closely with FHI 360 staffs to ensure all aspects of the program are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP and the program is well integrated into the health systems.
- Work closely to ensure all children are screened correctly
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP/Stabilization Center (SC).
- Ensure comprehensive health checks and treatment according to protocols.
- Ensure correct clinical diagnosis at the time of assessment so that the patient receives appropriate treatment in the program.
- Timely identification of complications, non-responder, and referrals to the SC.
- Review the forms completed by staff to ensure completion, accuracy and coherence.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
- Debrief the TO, HNS on the amount and quality of the treatment supplies if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
- Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner.
- Through liaison with the community health workers and mother-to-mother group facilitator, provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children who are absent from the programme, sick children, long stay children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems etc.
- Provide key health and education messages to beneficiaries based the protocol and guidelines.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the OTP/SFP sites.
Support medicines administration in OTP:
- Follow and respect the TO HNS directives on current protocols specially drug administration i.e. for de-worming, malaria, polio and measles, and micronutrient mineral/ Vitamin A supplements targeting children and PLW.
- Assist the activities linked to health and nutrition education.
- Participate in the follow-up of orders and consumption.
- Analyze the nutritional situation and debrief TO HNS.
- Compile the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and draft a report on activities
Ensure effective management of complications related in the hospitalized cases:
- Effectively following the FHI 360 protocols for the medical care of the SAM cases with complications.
- Work closely with FHI 360 and Pediatric staff to ensure all FHI 360 protocols are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the OTP.
- Prepare plan of action for effective FHI 360 implementation in consultation with the FHI 360 Supervisor and Pediatrician.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and documented, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP.
- Ensure comprehensive health checks, checking Vitals, frequent medicines and feed administration and treatment according to the protocols.
- Ensure timely therapeutic preparation, provision and monitoring.
- Completing and updating the patient file to ensure a track of patient progress
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and therapeutic feed supply and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistic.
- Follow-up and provide feedback to the FHI 360 Supervisor on the amount and quality of the treatment supplies if it does not comply with specified quality standards.
- Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner
- Ensure cases not meeting admission criteria return home or referred to the appropriate program as early as possible and counsel the family why their child is not admitted
- Through liaison with the community health worker and mother-to-mother support group facilitator mobilizers and nutrition volunteers, provide effective follow up of default case.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary.
- Follow-up and ensure good interaction with the beneficiaries.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
- Inform TO HNS of any professional problems encountered.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online