Accountability Officer at a Non-Governmental, Non-Profit, Non-Political and Non-Religious International Aid Organization
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountability Officer
- The accountability officer will work under the direct supervision of the deputy meal manager in the coordination office based in maiduguri with travel to bases as needed.
- The accountability officer will be responsible for ensuring the complaints handling mechanism is in place across pui projects.
- S/he will be responsible to fulfil requirements under the hap humanitarian accountability partnership (hap) standards especially in regards to information sharing, beneficiaries’ participation, complaints and response mechanism and accountability in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
- S/he will ensure clear and transparent rules for raising and processing complaints are established and that complaints are recorded and addressed by relevant parts of pui within a reasonable timeframe and will utilize the information received through the feedback channel to produce periodic reports and analysis that can strengthen programming and increase overall organizational accountability.
- Language skills: fluent in english, hausa and kanuri mandatory (speaking/reading/writing);
- Education degree: university degree preferably in Statistics, Information Management, Management, Social sciences or related fields.
- Work experience: minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with ngos or government agencies in planning, monitoring and evaluation and implementation of accountability programming in humanitarian or development programs.
- Knowledge and skills: strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
- Computer skills: Competence in using information technology including experience with word-processing, spreadsheets and database software.
- Experience using spss, stata or epi infis desirable.
- Ability to receive and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Proven interest and commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts.
- Strong motivation to help people in needs.
- Well organized and attention to details.
- Reliable and rigorous.
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvement.
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker.
- Able to manage stress and pressure.
Role and Responsibilities
- Project cycle management: provide technical assistance to ensure that the pui accountability framework is integrated throughout the project cycle (design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation) across all projects.
- Human resources: s/he will build capacity of implementing project teams to mainstream and develop accountability practices and mechanisms into programming.logistics and administration: lead the logistic and administrative duties related to managing a complaints and feedback mechanism.
Specific objective and Linked Activities
Mission support of accountability activities:
- Establish a complaints and feedback mechanism (cfm) in each project based on the highest levels of integrity which beneficiaries will trust and ensures that they can make confidential complaints and be confident of the response processes.
- Monitor complaints received and response (follow-up) processes through developing and maintaining a tracking mechanism.
- Ensure that feedback is routinely recorded, reviewed and responded timely in line with feedback mechanism guidelines.
- Be the first point of contact for beneficiary, staff and stakeholder complaints.
- Maintain and update the cfm database; and provide timely update to project staff based on the nature of feedback.
- Analyze patterns and trends in complaints to help improve programming.
- Generate periodic reports and share with project teams and the meal department.
- Conduct periodic field visit to ensure that accountability systems are in place and the necessary support is provided as needed.
- Review accountability systems periodically and update any changes if deemed necessary in consultation with the meal coordinator.
- Participate in internal and external meetings related to humanitarian accountability.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager;
Capitalization/Institutional Knowledge Building:
- Lead in developing a responsive, functional and appropriate feed backing mechanism which can improve current project implementation and guide future programming.
- Provide support to programme managers in reviewing information across projects, to ensure that feedback and complaints are taken into account in programme management decisions.
- Identify and formulate accountability findings, lessons learned and recommendations tbe integrated into planning and reporting efforts of pui project activities.
Communication & Follow Up:
- Inform communities regarding their right to be consulted, make complaints and provide feedback to pui on its activities.
- Communicate and disseminate complaints handling procedures, policies and tools to beneficiaries, project staff and other stakeholders.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Mainstreaming accountability into all stages of the project cycle.
- Ensuring improvements in project design by listening and responding to views of beneficiaries, stakeholders and partners.
- Adhering thap standards especially in regards to information sharing, beneficiaries’ participation, complaints and feedback mechanism and accountability in monitoring and evaluation.
- Under the direct supervision of Deputy Meal Manager
- Under the Technical supervision Meal Manager
- Under the Overall Supervision Meal Coordinator
Deadline: 28th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online