The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (National Contract)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
About the Job
- The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will ensure that data collection, consolidation and documentation are conducted in a timely manner and consistent with donor, consortium requirements and DRC/DDG guidelines and best practices.
- Training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- 3 years of direct experience of monitoring and evaluation related to one or more of these fields: Protection, Emergency NFIs, WASH, Shelter, Food security, Livelihoods and/ or Mine Risk Education initiatives.
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to analyses data and summarise it for a range of different audiences.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality programmes.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities and evaluate progress.
- Experience of working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to DRC /DDG’s mission, values and approach.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote evidence-based learning.Demonstrated ability and understanding to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and techniques such as focus group discussions, key informant interviews, observations to name a few.
Meal Systems Development at Base level in consultation with the Country M&E Manager:
- Based on the project proposals, implementation plan, and donor reporting requirements, support the M&E Manager in the development and implementation of a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impacts
- Conduct training for base project staff on M&E in line with identified capacity needs and provide ongoing mentoring support in consultation with the M&E Manager.
- Work with the various project teams to ensure that all information and data is collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner
- Contribute to regular reviews of the M&E system itself, making improvements as needed and recommended, in consultation with technical managers, M&E manager, staff, and partners.
- Ensure an effective roll-out of M&E collection and reporting systems at the base level through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed
Monutoring and Reporting:
- Lead on compilation of regular monthly and quarterly base level reports using data provided by Base project teams and ensure cross checking of data
- Support the Head of Base and technical program Managers to ensure that planned activities are carried out in a way that is timely, cost effective and adheres to quality standards
- Provide base level project data to help with donor monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
Research and Evaluation:
- Coordinate with the donor-contracted Evaluation Team for conducting of activities at base and village levels
- Support coordination of overall project/s review and evaluation activities as required. This includes working with the independent Evaluation Team to coordinate mid-term and final evaluations, and supporting donor and external reviews as required
- Support creation of a system for ensuring that information obtained is also shared with communities, women, and other stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism
- Ensure beneficiary accountability mechanism is logging and addressing complaints in a timely fashion. Ensure programme managers are aware of delays in acting on any complaints or information requests
- Training beneficiaries, community stakeholders and programme participants on DRC complaint response mechanism to promote downward accountability.
Knowledge Management & Learning:
- In consultation with Head of Base, country M&E Manager and technical managers, facilitate and compile case studies, change stories and lessons learned reports on a regular basis to share wider programme and inform improvements in quality and delivery
- Analyze information about the base level programme / projects and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure key base level lessons and challenges are documented and shared with staff and partners to help consolidate lessons learned for future proposal development and implementation of best practices.
- Contract length: 04 months
- Level: SB3
- Designation of Duty Station: Maiduguri
- Start date: 01 April 2018
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact DRC HR Maiduguri.
Application Deadline 5th March, 2018.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- “DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.”