Emerald High School was established in 2005 as a progression from the highly academically successful Emerald Nursery and Primary School in Lagos, which was established in 1995. The establishment of Emerald High School was in response to the yearnings of parents in the primary school and the need to bridge the gap in providing high quality Secondary School Education in the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Montessori Teacher (Female)
Location: Ogunrun-ori, Ogun
- Must be Female.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree.
- Develop schemes of work and lesson plans in line with curriculum objectives.
- Montessori experience with Minimum of 8 years.
- Living around Mowe-Ibafo, Berger, Redemption Camp, Ogun State area.
Job Title: House Parent
In the mornings:
- Wake up early and prepare students for school.
- Do morning devotion with the children.
- Supervise the students in the early morning duties
- Inspect students’ (especially junior students) dressing and personal hygiene e.g. hair, finger nails, teeth and dressing before breakfast.
- Liaise closely with the house wardens to ensure discipline and care of the children.
- Eat with the children at breakfast.
- Meet with classroom teachers as and when necessary to discuss the children under their care.
- Check students hostels, note and report necessary repairs to the maintenance section using the repair request forms.
- Do spot checks on students’ wardrobes and belongings to ensure that they have all their boarding house items. Note those who have items missing and follow up.
- Note and record names of students who do not comply with boarding house rules and follow up with
- corrections and punishments after school (laying of beds, proper use of hangers, arrangement of wardrobes, separating dirty and clean clothes and a host of other rules).
- Supervise the work of house wardens to ensure that the hostels are clean and tidy including toilets, bathrooms and laundry areas.
During dinning time:
- It is compulsory for house parents to eat with the children at all times (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- The house parents must stay with the children from their house as detailed in the dinner supervision schedule
- The house parents must stay for the whole duration of the eating time for breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
- Make sure that general prayer is offered before food is served.
- Make sure that students are orderly and follow the dining hall rules in the dining halls.
- Make sure that students collect their food and eat them.
- Must be vigilant to note the children who are off food because of dislike for the particular food or illnesses etc.
- Supervise students’ Saturday house cleaning and inter house competitions.
- Supervise and join in sports activities at the weekends
- Ensure that all students come out of the hostels during weekend activities
- Supervise students’ clothes washing, hair making etc
- Supervise students’ prep in the evenings
- Supervise the activities of the house wardens.
In the Hostels- After School Hours:
- See to the welfare of students in the hostel
- To ensure the strict observance of the school rules and regulations (Siesta, speaking in low tones, etc).
- To liaise as necessary with the Principal, Vice Principals (academics and admin), Head of Boarding, Year Heads, Resident and Non-resident Tutors, Parents, Guardians and staff on matters relating to the welfare of boarding pupils through the House Parent’s weekly meeting.
- Refer sick children to the health centre and ensure they are well looked after.
- Maintain a close liaison with the Nursing staff regarding all medical matters relating to the pupils in their charge.
- Discipline of students in the hostel
- Promote high moral standards among students
- Counseling of students and referral to school counselor
- Ensure that students come into or are out of the hostels at the appropriate times for activities
- Ensure all rooms and hostels are locked at all times when students are supposed to be out of the hostels.
- Ensure that lights out is observed.
- Supervise collective bed time prayers.
- Supervise the Saturday hostel cleaning exercise, conduct an inspection and give positions accordingly.
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Accompany children on excursions.
- House parents must join in club activities and other social events in the school.
- Engage with the children in after-school activities.
- Emotional, Moral and Spiritual Support
- House parents must help needy children become emotionally, educationally and socially stabilized in a healthy, happy environment
- Check the dressing of the students for their activities and correct them
- Oversee the hair do and hygiene of the students
- Conduct spot checks on wardrobes every morning. (Belongings should be well-arranged and dirty and clean clothes should not be rumpled together).
- Attend meetings with the head of boarding to discuss challenges facing you as a house parent
- Be a member of the House Parents’ Committee and attend the Friday meetings with the directors.
- Write a daily report in the house parents’ book ensuring that issues arising are noted. Take necessary actions to rectify identified problems
- Take actions when the class tutor or Vice Principal academics report issues concerning uniforms, equipment and general well being of the students to you.
- House parents and other prep supervisors must sign in and out at the start and end of prep.
- House parents must collect and plug in mosquito repellant at the beginning of prep and remove and give them back to the head of boarding at the end of prep
- Supervise the children’s prep according to the prep policy
- Take prep register and deal with and investigate cases of absenteeism and illnesses
- Make sure that children study during prep.
- Must hold a degree from a recognized, reputable university and must have completed the one-year compulsory national youth service corps programme.
- Must have considerable experience of working with young people
- House parents are required to be fully resident in the school throughout term time.
- This is to maintain their vital security and caring function.
- Highly motivated and energetic person.
- Considerable fortitude, resilience, patience, a well developed work ethic, awareness of the needs of young people, and a sense of humour.
- To liaise as necessary with the principal, vice principal, head of boarding, class tutor and other key staff on matters relating to the welfare of boarding pupils through the house parent’s weekly meeting.
- The set duties are the bare minimum of what is required from a house parent.
- A commitment to school and boarding activities ranging from Chapel attendance to house excursions is a prerequisite of any boarding post. In addition house parents should know that their regular presence in their boarding house is vital in fostering security, community and friendship.
- House parents must be born again Christians, spiritually and morally sound and demonstrate high integrity
- A team player with a desire to work as a supportive part of the close-knit community that exists within the boarding house.
- Able to support the students under them in the academic, spiritual and domestic spheres
- A good communicator and with a clear understanding of the post and its responsibilities.
- Willing to work in loco parentis for the young people in their charge and will represent the needs of these young people to the wider school, parents and guardians.
- Need considerable fortitude, resilience, patience, a well developed work ethic, awareness of the needs of young people, and a sense of humour.
- House parents are required to pass extensive background checks, which will include a medical examination and employment background checks.
- House parents may need to demonstrate a proven track record in working with and assisting children
- Must demonstrate the ability to nurture each student entrusted to their care.
- Good decent dressing/appearance
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- ICT literate (including ability to use the internet, email etc)
- Good telephone manner and general etiquettes.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 15th March, 2018.