The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We seek suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s Headquarter in Ibadan:
Job Title: Human Resource Manager, Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Ref No: DDG-CS/HRM/IRS/02/18
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The candidate should have a postgraduate qualification preferably a Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Administration, Psychology, Law, or other related field (from a highly recognized university).
- Minimum of eight years post qualification progressive human resources experience in a global environment, six of which were in a managerial position.
- International experience in HR, working in different countries and having been exposed to various cultures.
- Global experience including international human resources administration, policy analysis and development, recruitment, appraisal systems compensation and benefits, staff retention and separation programs, and ability to develop and implement training policies, programs and procedures pertaining to a wide variety of Human Resources issues.
- Prior experience of working in the not for profit sector with international development/research institutions, NGOs, or donor organisations.
- Excellent command of English language both written and verbal. Ability to speak French would be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively, exude confidence, present issues clearly, represent management positively to staff and be highly sensitive to the feelings and mood of both staff and management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capacity to interact effectively with staff at all levels, with external organisations related to HR functions, and to be a good team player in a multicultural environment.
- Capacity to effectively handle multiple tasks, change management and to work under pressure.
- Good skills in computer usage including spreadsheets, word processing and databases. Working knowledge of human resources information systems will be an advantage.
- Manage the international staff body to include recruitment and talent management, reward, orientation, contract issuance and contract review, and benefits administration.
- Provide strategic guidance and oversight for the formulation, implementation and periodic review of HR policies and procedures.
- Manage the routine and operational HR activities for international staff.
- Assist in the achievement of the refreshed HR strategy and contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the HR team.
- Ensure effective internal and external communication on HR issues.
- Represent HR on committees and to clients as necessary.
- Contribute towards the preparation and facilitation of learning and development activities as required.
- Ensure ethical practices and adherence to policy.
- Assist in the organisation of Focus Group Discussion sessions with international staff, prepare reports and follow up on actionable areas.
- Collaborate across the institute, to promote gender, and diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Provide support to the Regional Heads of Finance and Administration and Station Administrators regarding the management of international staff at the Hubs.
- Handle enquiries regarding policies, procedures and activities relating to international staff.
- Act as officer-in-charge on IRS matters in the absence of the Head of Human Resources.
The contract will be for an initial period of two years. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Deadline: 7th March, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.