Latest Jobs at Heartland Alliance International – Nigeria
Heartland Alliance International – Nigeria, one of the world’s leading anti-poverty and a services based human rights organizations, works in communities in the U.S. and abroad to serve those who are homeless, living in poverty, or seeking safety. It provides a comprehensive array of services in the areas of health, housing, jobs and justice – and leads state and national policy efforts, which target lasting change for individuals and society.
We are currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Director, Counter-Trafficking in the Lake Chad Basin
Req ID: 4804
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Schedule: International
Supervisor: Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Director
Position type: Full-time, salaried, with benefits annually. Applicants should include salary expectations in cover letter
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The Project Director will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the implementation of victim-centered technical assistance to governments and civil society in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The Project Director will ensure that all program activities are implemented in line with the project’s work plan and in accordance with HAI and donor requirements.
- The Project Director will be responsible for technical oversight of all components of the project and for quarterly reporting.
- The Project Director will also provide broader technical assistance to HAI across its diverse technical and geographic portfolios, strengthening the organization’s counter-trafficking programming, and promote HAI’s service and advocacy models.
- Reports to the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Director
- Supervises Program Coordinator and Program Assistant and collaborates with Technical Advisors based in the U.S. and Africa
- Communicates with HAI Headquarters leadership and support staff
- Collaborates with country governments, donors, and civil society
- Master’s Degree, plus a minimum of 5-7 years in an international NGO setting, or similar combination of experience and education
- 5+ years of experience managing international development and civil society projects
- Previous experience or understanding of the human trafficking environment in Sub-Saharan Africa, with at least 2 years working in the field(s) of anti-trafficking, refugee response, forced migration, and/or legal services
- Previous experience in working on programs that have a mental health and psychosocial support element. Degree in this field is a plus.
- Knowledge and prior experience with humanitarian coordination, including clusters systems and relevant humanitarian working groups and sub-working groups
- Strong knowledge of international human rights legislation bodies engaged in anti-trafficking victim protection
- Proven project management skills with experience managing multiple projects and/or working for an international organization in Sub-Saharan Africa region
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills to work effectively with partners, government officials, local NGOs, media, and staff
- Demonstrated success in project planning, financial management, program monitoring, report writing, and identifying and procuring technical assistance
- Previous experience planning and delivering training activities to diverse audiences
- A track record that demonstrates energy and creativity, and the ability to successfully prioritize and manage competing priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills
- Essential – Proficient in English and French (read, write, and speak)
- Preferred – Proficient in Hausa, Kanuri, or other local languages
- Computer Skills: Ability to effectively work using Microsoft Office (e.g. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), and other software applicable to the area of work.
- Resilience: This project is responding to a devastating human rights crisis and will address sensitive issues. Interested applicants should have a strong commitment to addressing the rights of victims of trafficking (VoT) with cultural sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality.
- Candidates should be flexible, patient, positive, and able to work effectively independently and as a member of a team.
- Leads the implementation of the project
- Develops and monitors assessments, work plans, budgets, and progress reports as required by HAI, donors and partners
- Monitors project goals and partner/consultant activities to ensure project success
- Ensures monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet HAI’s standards, and are completed on schedule
- Organizes relevant trainings, roundtables, events, and other activities to achieve project objectives
- Manages the partner and collaborator relationships
- External communication and program development
- Represents HAI before NGO partners, government officials, funding sources, other partners, beneficiaries, and at conferences, meetings, and other outreach opportunities
- Leads HAI’s representation among humanitarian coordination bodies in Abuja, Maiduguri, and regionally
- Develops, reviews, and finalizes program monthly, quarterly, and annual project reports
- Develops policy briefs, program summaries, monographs, and other documents related to HAI’s anti-trafficking work, to summarize and highlight HAI’s unique program approach for external donors and other stakeholders
- Identifies new anti-trafficking funding opportunities and cultivates relationships with relevant actors to expand and enhance HAI’s anti-trafficking program portfolio
- Financial management and grant oversight
- Responsible for implementing activities in accordance with project or activity budgets
- Consults with project coordinator and director of finance and administration regarding best practices for financial administration of project work
- Monitors grant agreements and sub-agreements for project partners
- Works with Project Officer and Director of Finance and Administration to monitor budget and revise budgets, as needed
- Other duties, as assigned.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online