The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Civil Engineer, SSA 8 (NOA Equivalent)
Requisition #: 76721
Organizational Context & Background
This position will be with the WFP Nigeria Area Office Maiduguri and requires the engagement of a competent Civil Engineer, who will work with and report to Logistics. The main tasks required of the position will include engineering supervision of construction works, quality control on site, evaluation of construction works, resolution of construction issues and contract management for construction activities to support WFP’s programmes and other operations in Nigeria.
The Civil Engineer shall be able to demonstrate in-depth technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyze and resolve complex engineering issues, manage and direct projects and work streams, provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and formulate new strategies and technical approaches where appropriate.
The Civil Engineer assigned to this position will require experience in construction contract management, including knowledge and experience of construction contract law or related construction contract formats.
- The Civil Engineer reports to the Head of Supply Chain in Maiduguri, or other staff member(s) designated by the WFP Head of Area office, and shall take technical directions from the WFP Chief Engineer in Maiduguri/Nigeria, in relation to all aspects of design, construction and contract management for projects in Nigeria, as required.
- To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
The duties shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervision of upgrades of Mobile Storage Units: construction of concrete platform for all Mobile Storage Units established in various field locations in Borno State. With the strategy to scale-up storage capacity on the ground, more construction work will have to be undertaken in the coming months;
- Tendering and construction of Helipads: Site assessment, tendering and construction of a helipad and walkway in Rann and improvements/re-constructions of the helipad and walkway in Ngala.
- Warehouse upgrades: Evaluation and execution of the renovation work required at the warehouse in Maiduguri, such as fixing the roofs, renovating the drainage, security upgrades, mesh-wiring warehouse, etc;
- Warehouse Annex construction: Working against a tight deadline, the Warehouse Annex has to be constructed and the Scope of Work requires a dedicate engineer to follow up on the whole project.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Business Support Services & Reporting:
- Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights.
Internal Controls & Risk Management for Administration and Engineering:
- Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.
Resource Management for Administration and Engineering:
- Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
Specialised Knowledge in Engineering:
- Applies advanced engineering knowledge in own area of responsibility and working knowledge of other engineering disciplines to provide technical support to operations and projects.
- Leads independent action and decision making in an engineering context.
Engineering & Project Management:
- Demonstrates a strong proficiency in developing project scopes, engineering and design proposals, and identifying required tasks and milestones. Applies working knowledge of project management tools, engineering technologies, techniques and best practice to track and monitor project progress, delivering projects on schedule and on budget.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- University Diploma in Civil Engineering. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to ‘Professional Engineer’ or ‘Chartered Engineer’ status, or recognized equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority (not necessary, but an advantage).
- Minimum 5 years of relevant civil engineering experience at increasing levels of responsibilities.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge and/or experience in engineering design and construction;
- Detailed knowledge of construction contract formats and contract management obligations;
- Good knowledge of public procurement procedures; national contract formats and construction management procedures;
- Good knowledge of AutoCAD 2D;
- Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are ESPECIALLY encouraged to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply for this position
Application Deadline 28th February, 2018.
Note: Qualified FEMALE applicants are especially encouraged to apply.