Recruitment for Medical Waste Management Consultant at an International Development Firm (7 Positions)
Chemonics International, an international development firm based in Washington, DC., seeks professionals for USAID’s anticipated multi-year health program in Nigeria; the Strategic HIV and AIDS Response Program (SHARP).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Waste Management Consultant
Locations: Abuja (2), Lagos, Awka – Anambra, Calabar – Cross River, Gombe and Sokoto
Scope of Work
- This scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by Consultant to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an associate company of Chemonics International Inc.
- The objective of this billable short-term assignment is to serve as the Medical Waste Management Consultant for the USAID Global Health Supply Chain (GHSC) – Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) project. The Medical Waste Management Consultant will provide technical assistance, coordination and supervisory oversight during the scheduled 2018 Waste Drive for Global Fund.
Chemonics International implements in Nigeria a contract awarded by the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, for the provision of warehousing and distribution services for HIV and malaria commodities.
Chemonics International also implements the Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Project is a USAID program implemented by Chemonics International in Nigeria. The project goal is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives globally.
The United State Government through the GHSC – PSM funds the procurement and supply chain management of HIV commodities and Rapid Test Kits for delivery and use at the states that receive support from USG. The United State Government through the GHSC – PSM is also supporting the procurement and supply-chain management of HIV and Malaria Commodities (anti-malaria pharmaceuticals and rapid diagnostic test kits, RDTs and long lasting insecticidal nets, LLINs) to PMI-supported health facilities in eleven states. The GHSC-PSM PROJECT also supports the distribution of Global Fund procured commodities in some of these PMI-supported states.
The Global Fund approved for Chemonics to collect expired products from Global Fund supported implementing partners and treat and dispose of these commodities at a treatment site that treats and incinerate waste according to international accepted standards, with minimal hazards to the environment. Chemonics International in Nigeria is saddled with the responsibilities of coordinating the collection and transportation of all damaged and expired products from the warehouses and health facilities the thermal facility as well as overseeing the treatment and disposal process. The Chemonics International in Nigeria will pay the bills for the destruction of the expired commodities as approved by the Global Fund.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Monitor and supervise the activities of all third-party transportation service providers during the waste drive.
- Coordinate in-country waste drive for treatment and disposal of expired pharmaceutical commodities.
- Supervise the cross docking and arrival at the respective warehouses and at the waste treatment facility, whilst ensuring the safety and completeness of all inventory of expired, damaged and unusable commodities.
- Supervise the treatment of retrieved expired, damaged and unusable commodities at the waste treatment facility.
- Capacity building for country programs and client countries to help assure that inventories, collections, sorting, disposals, etc. are conducted properly and consistent with the international and national requirements.
- Provide technical assistance to country office staff, government staff and Global Fund stakeholders (especially Global Fund Principal Recipients, PRs), in the following waste management-related areas:
- Ensure adherence to policies, guidelines, manuals and standard operating procedures for safe and proper disposal of unusable materials, during the waste drive activity.
- Collaborate with relevant government agencies or parastatals during the waste drive.
- Attend meetings with country office staff, government staff and Global Fund stakeholders (especially Global Fund Principal Recipients, PRs),
- Supervise and monitor all medical waste management activities – collation of inventory data, retrieval and packaging of medical waste.
- Supervise and participate in the collation of the retrieval PODs and inventory data of expired, damaged and unusable commodities at the waste treatment facility.
- Ensure that all required documentation (retrieval PODs etc.), at the completion, of the waste drive are collated.
- Participate in the review and reconciliation of documentation and assist in the preparation of invoice(s) for all third-party logistics service providers and waste treatment facility.
- Participate in the writing of the waste drive report.
- Perform other duties as maybe assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy, Public Health, Logistics management or other related Sciences.
- At least 3 years’ experience in medical waste management and/or logistics and supply chain management of health program commodities, preferably in an international health care supply chain management environment;
- Ability to monitor, supervise and provide support to warehousing and distribution service providers during the implementation of the waste drive.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and numeracy skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to be self-motivated and self-managing.
- Experience working on a USAID or donor-funded project required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and to be self-managing.
- Proficient in excel, word processing, and presentation applications.
- Current knowledge of existing developments in the field of medical waste management
Supervision of Consultant:
- Medical Waste Management Consultant will report to Warehousing Manager – Deliver and Return.
Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment
- This is a Short-term/Consultancy position.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online