International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world.
Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics have over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through better and more resilient agriculture.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Scientific Officer in Market Development / Linkages
Duration: Two years contract, renewable based on funds
- The research associate in market development and linkages will work under the supervision of ICRISAT Country Representative.
Minimum Academic/Professional Qualifications
- Degree in Agricultural Economics /Agricultural Extension/Agronomy or related fields, and/or additional training in Agricultural Market Development/ Entrepreneurship Development or a related field.
- Should have a minimum of 2 years working experience with relevance in agriculture and agribusiness;
- Previous experience with private sector and hands on market linkages will be an added advantage;
- Strong computer skill (knowledge of 00K is an advantage)
- Experience in use of GIS is an advantage
- Must be energetic, creative, and willing to learn;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of local languages is an added advantage
- Must have previous experience in agribusiness and be willing to spend long periods traveling and staying in rural areas,
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Computer literacy with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications
- Thorough knowledge of Sorghum market development and information systems particularly within Nigeria.
- Led in profile 4000 to 6000 farmer for NA Di RA
- Support the design of selected commodity sectors market development strategy within the context of NADiRA project in Nigeria.
- Support marketing activities for selected commodity development hubs in Nigeria.
- Support establishment of contracts with potential partners (e.g. market actors), and develop concrete offers for partnership and negotiate agreements between key actors.
- Initiate contract farming arrangement between seed companies, seed Out growers. farmers groups, banks, insurance company’s agro-input companies and off-takers based on best practices and trust.
- Actively participate in monitoring and evaluation of project implementation
Deadline: 10th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their application and CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org