The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a Specialized Agency of the Economic Community of West African States, (ECOWAS) established by the Authority of Head of States and Governments of ECOWAS Member States to ensure the integration of the national power system operations into a unified regional electricity supply at affordable costs, over the medium to long term. This aims to encourage industrialisation, improve Health and Education, Reduce Poverty, Create Employment Opportunities, etc.
The Headquarters of the WAPP General Secretariat is based in Cotonou, Republic of Benin. The WAPP Secretariat, in view of achieving its global Vision, intends to increase its staffing by filling the vacant position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Location: Cotonou, Benin
Department: Office of Secretary General
Reports to: Office of Secretary General
- Procurement officer is responsible for planning, managing and implementing procurement procedures and processes in the acquisition of goods, works and services of overall WAPP needs.
- He/She should manage the related activities in collaboration with WAPP Procurement Committee and in conformity with the provisions of WAPP Tender Code, Manual of Procurement procedures and donor’s procurement guidelines.
Minimum Qualifications / Skills and Knowledge Required
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce, Engineering, Law or other related field.. Certification in procurement is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in procurement and administration in public sector, of which at least three years should be directly related to firsthand procurement and/or contracting experience at the international level.
- Demonstrated sound understanding of the challenges in public procurement and project development projetcs funded by donors.
- Familiar with International Financial Institutions procurement procedures (World Bank, EIB, AfDB, IBD, etc.)
- Experience in an energy sector organization or energy projects a plus
- Demonstrated experience in word processing and spreadsheet software
- Strong oral and written communications skills with a proven ability to convey information clearly and concisely
- Ability to coordinate cross-departmental efforts to achieve common goals on time
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work load, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and attend to detail
- Demonstrated integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality
- Fluent in English/ French and working knowledge of the other
- Prepare and follow-up for approval procurement plans for WAPP Secretariat and WAPP projects financed by Donors
- Update regularly approved procurement plans
- Update periodically the Tender Code and Manual of Procurement procedures
- Plan, implement and manage all procurement and contractual aspects of goods, works, consulting and no consulting services for the WAPP Secretariat.
- Advise requisitioning units and recipient units on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stages of the procurement cycle.
- Prepare and or review bidding documents and request for proposals documents,
- Prepare/oversee preparation and distribution of invitations to tender and manage/conduct all aspects of bid/proposal evaluations in consultation with the WAPP Procurement Committee.
- Propose procurement guidance notes to Procurement Committee
- Establish and maintain work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly-planned ones.
- Participate in negotiations involving WAPP Procurement Committee, prepare procurement orders, and seek approval of authorised officials, and if applicable, prepare submissions to the Procurement Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorised official.
- Conduct market research to keep abreast of market developments, research and analyse statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of goods and services.
- Identify new technologies, and products/services, evaluate and recommend potential supply sources and participate in the incorporation of research results into the procurement program;
- Oversee adherence to contractual agreements, recommend amendments and extensions of procurement contracts, and advise concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations;
- Maintain a complete and systematic set of records of day-to-day procurement transactions and procurement archives,
- Maintain a register of local suppliers and update it periodically
- Prepare a variety of procurement-related documents, contracts, communications, guidelines, instructions, etc.
- Provide guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff
- Keep track of orders and determine causes of any delays
- Answer any questions or clarifications from suppliers, and resolve any problems
- Reconcile purchase orders with the shipments, ensuring that they match
- Notify vendors when invoices are not received, and verify that the bills concur with purchase orders
- Oversee inventory control system, maintaining inventory spreadsheet and placing orders when materials on hand are insufficient
- Handle procurement issues as procurement focal point of the WAPP with donors
- Participate in procurement supervision and audits/review missions
- Prepare procurement reports.
- Conduct regular training to WAPP staff to enhance their capacity.
Deadline: 20th April, 2018 at 18.00 Benin time (GMT+1)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Enquiries: Send an email to: email@example.com
- Late applications will not be considered. Female candidates are encouraged.
- Due to the large number of applications expected, only applicants shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment process shall be contacted.