UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Project Officer
Location: Benin City, Edo
- UNHCR wishes to engage the services of an Associate Project Officer to oversee the planning and implementation of an EU-funded project called Telling the Real Story – Information campaign (TRS) in close coordination with authorities in Nigeria.
- The purpose of the campaign is by no means to dissuade persons with protection needs from seeking asylum, but to empower Nigerians primarily women and youth to take informed decisions and be aware of the propaganda that smugglers, traffickers and profiteers could entice them with.
- The Associate Project Officer, under the supervision of a Line Manager, the Senior Liaison Officer in UNHCR’s Nigeria office, and a functional supervisor, the TRS Project Manager, reporting to the CwC Team Leader, will be responsible for the overall coordination and development of a collaborative network with Nigerian authorities, NGOs and UN entities already active in anti-trafficking campaigns for the dissemination of information, including testimonies.
- The purpose of the information campaign is the dissemination of realistic and truthful information about the dangers of the journey to Europe and the situation of Nigerians in Europe as well as the basics of the European asylum system. Women and girls particularly need to be made aware of the sex slavery they might risk to face.
The Associate Project Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Establish close working relations with Nigerian authorities, NGOs, faith-based organizations and other UN entities already active in anti-trafficking campaigns;
- Coordinate the assessment of training needs, organize and contribute to the implementation of training programmes for target groups and advise Nigerian stakeholders on ways to use the testimonials in community outreach in order to trigger an intra-community discourse on the dangers of trafficking and provide practical support for dissemination as necessary;
- In collaboration with UNHCR’s External Relations Unit, identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media;
- Contribute to the development of messages and campaign materials that will be disseminated by partners.
- Take a lead role in establishing, nurturing and building partnerships with stakeholders and networks with existing anti-trafficking associations;
- Support the development of a community mobilization strategy in collaboration with implementing partners;
- In collaboration with UNHCR’s External Relations Unit, develop and sustain strategic relationships with celebrity supporters and interlocutors to expand advocacy activities;
- Provide information on complementary pathways that are available;
- Support the planning, coordination and implementation of awareness raising activities by Implementing Partners and NGOs;
- Through direct engagement with returnees, in cooperation with the Nigeria office, the Associate Project Officer will analyse existing trends, motivations for departure and misinformation provided within the community and by smugglers particularly related to current mixed migration developments;
- Keep relevant UNHCR offices abreast of activities and progress through regular reports;
- Monitor the project activities as per work plan as well as the funds allocated for project.
- Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Communication, Political Science, International Relations, Migration Studies or related field;
- Capacity to develop strategic communication visions;
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information,migration management or related areas;
- Knowledge of UN policies and procedures;
- Basic understanding of international refugee protection and UNHCR’s mandate; work experience in the field of refugee protection and assistance would be an asset;
- Sound knowledge of the regional mixed migration dynamics;
- Background in community engagement; communication; protection and/or social work;
- Experience of working with persons of concern desirable;
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic thinking;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and foster successful partnerships and collaborations; and
- Excellent command of English, (written, oral, comprehension) including highly developed drafting skills. Fluency in the main language(s) of Edo State is highly desirable.
Deadline: 8th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a “UNHCR Personal History Form (P11)” and a motivation letter in English to the attention of “Ms. Christa Awuor Odinga” by mail at: AWUORODI@unhcr.org and copy “Ms. Silvia Cravesana” at: CRAVESAN@unhcr.org Please use the following subject line: “Telling the real story information campaign – Associate Project Officer application”.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.