Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Drug Dispenser
- PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for Nurse for its medical health team to implement mobile health clinic in Maiduguri.
- Under the direct supervision of opd supervisor / nurse team leader
- Under the technical supervision deputy project manager
- Under the overall supervision health project manager
- Under the direct supervision of the Nurse Team Leader/OPD supervisor, the drug dispenser dispenses drugs to patients, gives indication on drug utilization, and monitors drug consumption, according to pui procedures
- S/he respects logistic and pharmacy procedures, fills in weekly orders and does inventory controls.
Role and Responsibilities
Specific Objective and Linked Activities:
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in PUI facilities.
- Provide drugs to patient on a gentle manner with explanation and clarification
- Directly report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases, other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health – illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Recognized Nurse Degree (at least Certificate level) with national legislation
- 2-3 years of experience in Nursing, especially in MHC/MHU setting.
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of Communicable and Non Communicable diseases
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good ability for team work
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages Hausa, etc.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Transversals Skills
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Establish personal rapport with potential and actual patients and their relatives. Treat the patient with respect.
- Receive prescriptions from Clinician/ Nurse and Midwife, and verify that required information is on the form, and dispense it to the patient.
- Notify the Nurse or Midwife of incomplete or inaccurate prescriptions; as unclear handwriting, missing dose, etc.
- Dispense the medication to patients.
- Give clear instructions how to take the drug, when, how long, how to store.
- Advise and educate patients of any adverse side-effects of medicines.
- Check if the patient understands the given instructions.
- Prepare clear and detailed labels for dispensed drugs written in language that patients can understand.
- Adhere to PUI practice policies and procedures for dispensing medicines, in particular those relating to controlled drugs.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Store drugs according to PUI standards and protocols.
- Record and compile daily and weekly consumption form and send information to pharmacist.
- Submit drug order to pharmacy on a requested basis.
- Receive the orders from Pharmacy and inspect items, as to quality, quantity, and expiry dates. Provide the Pharmacy with feedback in case of irregularity.
- Arrange stock by designation and in alphabetical order, with the earliest expiring stock at the front of the shelf and the first in first out techniques.
- Monitor the supply quantity, expiration dates and quality of medicines and medical supplies.
- Maintain accurate dispensing records and report weekly to the Pharmacist.
- Apply specific hygiene protocols.
- Maintain cleanliness of the dispensary and equipment.
- Notify Pharmacist in a timely manner in case of a high consumption that may lead to low stock or stock out.
- Ask advice from Pharmacist in case a drug is prescribed which is not available.
- Together with Pharmacist assistant and /or MHC Team Leader conduct inventory control of dispensary on a regular basis;
- Follow all safety measures and rules in the dispensary.
- Notify the pharmacist assistant / MHC Team Leader/ OPD supervisor immediately about any change in drugs, in form of appearance, color, smell, etc.
- Collect and file patients’ prescriptions.
- Ensure coordination and continuity of care through verbal and written reports to the supervisor and coordination with the other health staff.
- Participate actively in meetings and trainings when required.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by supervisors.
Application Deadline 31st March, 2018.
- Fill the form and make sure to mention in the form the reference of the position you are applying for,
- If pre-selected you will be contacted shortly by the HR department.
- Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will done on the rolling basis and PUI reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.