WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization that harnesses the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce hunger and poverty. Globally, more than one billion people obtain most of their animal protein from fish and approximately 800 million depend on fisheries and aquaculture for their livelihoods.
Utilizing its scientific expertise, its networks and partnerships, and an innovative ‘research in development’ approach, WorldFish increases the productivity and sustainability of fisheries and aquaculture and improves the lives of poor people who rely on them.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Value Chain Coordinator
Start Date: May 2018.
- The Value Chain Coordinator is responsible to lead the Commodity Technology Delivery Compact (CTDC) of fish and the development of all necessary submissions for approval by the Clearinghouse through the Technologies for African Agriculture Transformation (TAAT) project.
- The development objective of the project is to expand access of smallholder farmers, majority women, to high yielding agricultural technologies to improve their food production, assure food security and raise rural incomes, and deliver regional public goods by scaling up agricultural technologies across similar agro-ecological zones.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- A PhD degree in aquaculture, animal sciences, animal production, agricultural extension, agricultural sciences or a closely related field to the value chain.
- At least 10 years of professional working experience in agricultural extension or a closely related field with at least 5 of which should be in Africa.
- Demonstrated ability to write, publish, and disseminate technical reports, success stories, and promotional materials.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in project management especially with African Development Bank projects will be an added advantage.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous and complex situations with analytical skills.
- Resource mobilization experience with high attention to quality and details.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with good working knowledge of French is preferred.
- Oversee day-to-day management and implementation of value chain compact activities in close collaboration with country value chain implementation teams.
- In close consultation and collaboration with the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA), to ensure that capacity is built in all needed areas for various stakeholders within the value chain.
- In close consultation and collaboration with the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), ensure that all policy related issues that can affect value chain transformation within target countries are effectively addressed.
- Support the development of young Agripreneurs through demonstration and training in close collaboration with the ENABLE-TAAT Compact.
- Ensure that quarterly and annual consolidated technical and financial reports for the compact are prepared and submitted to the program management office on schedule.
- Present the activities, results, impacts and outcomes of the value chain at professional, donor and other stakeholders’ meetings.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Management and/or Institutional management office to meet the objectives of the value chain.
- Prepare and submit from the CTDC a list of technologies to be deployed and the resources required, to the RTDI, specifically the Project Steering Committee (PSC) through the Clearinghouse who will review and approve the appropriate technologies.
- Guide the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to prepare food technology outreach campaigns for the Commodity Technology Delivery Compact (CTDC) for submission to the Clearinghouse of the Regional Technology Delivery Infrastructure (RTDI).
- Provide support to all Fish value chain public and private sector partners in each participating country and ensure that they are fully and actively engaged.
- Establish good linkages with lead compact institution to ensure that administrative support is provided for fiduciary services such as procurement and financial management.
- Lead the undertaking activities of the CTDC which include: agreeing with RMCs on approaches to deploy technologies, defining target areas, mobilizing all actors across the value chain and designing and implementing wide-scale farmer extension models
- Facilitate the implementation of the fish value chain activities in all target countries and participate in the monitoring of progress made towards achieving Fish value chain and TAAT set goals.
Salary & Benefits
- This is an International Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 54,000 to USD 56,000 per annum depending on qualification and expertise.
- WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance, relocation and repatriation assistance, dependent education allowance, home leave entitlement, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
- We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission.
- We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.
- WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued.
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
- Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 14th April, 2018.