ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritizes works with the poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
We invite applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: APP Editor
Simplification of the Agriculture Promotion Policy (APP) for Smallholder Women Farmers in line with the agriculture components of the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) and the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP) Framework
ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is implementing Phase 3 of the Public Financing of Agriculture (PFA) Project. The project is designed to catalyze increased quantity and improved quality of public investment in agriculture through enhanced citizens’ participation in policy making process to increase the productivity and well-being of women smallholder farmers, their households and communities in Nigeria. The project also seeks to continue to strengthen smallholder women farmers’ platforms through addressing the challenges of low voice and participation of smallholder women farmers in agricultural policy making processes at local, state and national levels.
Issues of specific focus within the project includes that of poor access and control over land and low spending on agriculture by the government at all levels, and little support to smallholder women farmers by government, lack of access to agricultural credit/finance, business development/advisory services and market access, inputs, technology, crop insurance, etc.
One of the deliverables of the PFA Phase 3 Project is the simplification of the Agriculture Promotion Policy (APP) for smallholder women farmers in line with the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP) Framework in order to further empower their organisations to be able to hold duty-bearers to account towards increasing the quantity and quality of agriculture expenditure within the Nigerian government’s Agriculture Promotion Policy (APP) and the agriculture components of the Economic Recovery Growth Plan (ERGP). Therefore, the Food and Agriculture Team of ActionAid Nigeria intends to commission a Technical Editor to summarise the APP.
- It is pertinent for smallholder women farmers and their organisations to understand key provisions that speak for or relate to them within the APP and components of agriculture within the ERGP in line with the CAADP Framework to enable them push for the implementation of the key areas in the policy that will benefit their livelihoods.
- To summarize the APP from 59 to 20 pages for easy understanding of smallholder women farmers
- To highlight the components of agriculture in the ERGP in relation to the APP and the CAADP Framework within the summary.
- The Technical Editor (consultant) will conduct a review of the Agriculture Promotion Policy (APP) and the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) vis-a-vis the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP) framework.
The outputs and deliverables are:
- The APP summarized in simple language from 59 to 20 pages for easy understanding of smallholder women farmers with components of agriculture in the ERGP in relation to the APP and the CAADP Framework highlighted clearly within the summary.
- A 4 page executive summary of the APP.
- The contract is for a period of ten (10) working days starting from the award date.
- Education: Recognised degree
- Experience: At least seven years of relevant experience as a Technical Writer/Editor.
- Proven experience in editing and writing
The consultant to be recruited should have the following experiences:
- A good understanding and practical experience of food and agriculture work.
- Excellent writing skills.
- A sound experience in policy analysis and simplification of policy document
- A good understanding of Agriculture Policies including a sound knowledge of CAADP.
Ownership of outputs:
- The outputs of this assignment belong to ActionAid Nigeria.
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- Unless otherwise agreed, the Work shall be performed at the Consultant’s place of business.
- Technical and other editorial support, supplies and equipment necessary to accomplish tasks are to be provided by the Consultant.
- The Food and Agriculture Programme Coordinator will provide technical oversight to the consultant during the course of the work.
- The consultant shall be responsible for producing the simplified version of the APP documents for submission to the Food and Agriculture Programme Coordinator at ActionAid Nigeria who will confirm reports satisfactory before balance payments are made.
- ActionAid Nigeria will pay a professional fee of Five Hundred Thousand (500,000) Naira only. Please note that ActionAid Nigeria will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% Withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send ttheir Expression of Interest, bearing in mind the number of days for task and stating daily rate clearly and Profile/CV’s to: Procurement.Nigeria@actionaid.org with the subject AAP Editor
Application Deadline 2nd April, 2018.